80pc Tap & Die Set for $9 w/Free Shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

anickode

Reaction score
..., but at this price, why not buy two sets :thumbsup:

At that price, you might as well buy multiple. Cheap taps and dies don't last very long. I make my own tie rods, and I tried to use a cheap die (skimped for the LH threads), and they came out like garbage. All rough and full of knicks and burrs. Spent $15 on a real good one, and they came out looking like rolled threads.

They'll be fine for the occasional tapping or thread chasing though, especially in aluminum.

I've sort of fallen in love with the FNL 3 flute taps from Fastenal. They're strong and razor sharp, and they stay that way. My 1/2" NC tap has done 200+ holes in 1/2" mild steel plate being driven with a drill, and still cuts like it was new.

Texan

Senor Member
Reaction score
Another ebay seller has the same sets for $25, and has sold over 5,000 of em. So I'm sure they are decent enough for occasional use by a DIYer. I have common standard taps, just needed a one metric. So spend $7 on one tap or $9 on two complete sets?

I work for a metal fabrication manufacturer, most of time broken taps are caused by operator error.

anickode

Reaction score
Another ebay seller has the same sets for $25, and has sold over 5,000 of em. So I'm sure they are decent enough for occasional use by a DIYer. I have common standard taps, just needed a one metric. So spend $7 on one tap or $9 on two complete sets?

I work for a metal fabrication manufacturer, most of time broken taps are caused by operator error.

Selling it for more money doesn't make it better. If your guy can turn a profit selling them at 9 bucks, they're worth less than 9 bucks, and the other guy is .aking more money.

BROKEN taps are usually operator error, if they were good taps. Crappy taps on the other hand, are just crappy taps. They don't cut as clean, so they bind easier. They're made of cheap steel thats loaded up with carbon to make them hard enough to cut, so they break easier. Recipe for disaster.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Crappy taps on the other hand, are just crappy taps.

Crappy-Taps might be my new favorite expression.

Get pulled over?
"Crappy-Taps"

Spill a drink?
"Crappy-Taps"

Whiskey throttle the minibike?
"Crappy-Taps!"

Husband:
"Crappy-Taps!!!"
Wife:
"Oh, no! What's wrong?"

Status
Not open for further replies.