BIG CC engines on a kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacmon

Reaction score
as some of u know im droppin my 1979 kz400 in my little buggy thing..and like it was said.. as long as u hav the know how and the common sense to want to be safe, u can do it..i will get pics up to show what ive done for extra bracing support.its putting out 38 hp..on solid frame with 2" axle..not ready for the road yet

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
After I beefed up my GX200(to 10-11hp) and got my TAV2, I noticed things flexing that previously didnt(mainly the motor mount/plate). It seemed that the rearend design wasnt meant for the torque that I was producing w/ the weight of the kart. After I welded a support rod in... no more flexing issues. But I 'just' went up maybe acouple hp(than factory)... hence the reason for the 'easy' fix... adding 20-50hp... probably gonna need a cage for the motor... and there's always that darn weight issue... IMO theres only so much power needed to propel a certain weight forward, before it becomes just plain ridiculous!

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
I think you missed the point of the thread. It wasn't to say don't use large engines, the point is to use common sense. A gixer on a yard kart is just dumb but a dirt bike engine on a beefed up kart? Well something can be done with that...

BirdFanatic

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what tubing is in the malibu .?

rushking19

Reaction score
I think you missed the point of the thread. It wasn't to say don't use large engines, the point is to use common sense. A gixer on a yard kart is just dumb but a dirt bike engine on a beefed up kart? Well something can be done with that...

Yeah I get the whole,powerful engine thing, if you're going to put a big/powerful engine on a yard do Kart you will have to brace the frame so it can handle the power

Right now I have a Rotax 399cc 24 hp engine on my Manco yard go kart and if I don't strengthen the frame everything will break, but I already thought of a plan, to cut the old engine mounts off and build a new one out of thick steel and weld it to the frame and strengthen all the area's of the frame that takes most of the stress, or else if I don't everything is just going to fail and break and fall apart

Attachments

• IMG_20140814_172110.jpg
    IMG_20140814_172110.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20140727_204644.jpg
    IMG_20140727_204644.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20140718_185626.jpg
    IMG_20140718_185626.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 20

Go Kart NZ

Reaction score

Was just playing with words, you can do anything if done right.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
'O' dear, what have I done....

View attachment 53602
View attachment 53603

Broken all the rules, but wait that are what rules are for, to be broken.:thumbsup:

There is nothing wrong with what you did.... :thumbsup:
You did all the homework and took all the necessary precautions....
It's when you put a 24hp engine on a yard kart and don't know how to weld. Recipe for disaster. Or you put a big 600+cc engine, putting out 100+ hp, on a yerfdog and think everything is gonna be ok..... It's not.....
I wouldn't compare your "apple" to someone else's sour grapes...... :lolgoku::cheers2:

Status
Not open for further replies.