DIY 15 minute strap wrench

Master Hack

Reaction score
l needed a strap wrench today and HF tools is 25 minutes away, so my inner cheapskate shouted make one. So if anyone wants heres a quick how to
Start with any 2” wide piece of steel. Size does not matter in this case.
Put a slot in it ( by any means available) and drill a
13/64 hole in it to clear a 10-32 screw.

DA00C8A7-DDB1-4F83-8FA3-686DA2A990AF.jpeg

next hack a slot in a piece of tubing, pipe or anything for a handle.
I’m not proud of this but it was quick.

1A82C2C5-A058-45FB-9318-E39A3005F171.jpeg
Next put piece A into slot B and weld it.

747EDA7A-DF2B-4581-824E-8E79BA0213EE.jpeg
!
Remember that old torque converter belt ya have? Any flat belt will work. Drill a 13/64 hole in it and run it through the 1” slot and use a 10-32 x 1” screw to attach it to the previously drilled 13/64 hole. Done!

5B5BD30D-61EF-4B7F-9E1C-3134AAA8E5B9.jpeg

Denny its a strap wrench NOT a strapon wrennch!

59D13E02-2DC8-4EE9-9BDE-E73BEAD3235D.jpeg

EDIT: lt has been brought to my attention, that this a imperial/SAE/merican version.
conversion to metric is simple. All ya have to do is replace the belt with one in a metric size

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I thought it was a strap wench? I had an even easier version. Just take a flat belt, wrap it around said object and squeeze the sides together. Now lay a piece of steel the width of the belt where they come together and use both sides of the belt and steel as a handle.

Master Hack

Reaction score
Seriously? I can’t do anything that simple. Gotta make it more complicated. I would never find those pieces anyway. Come to think of it l probably won’t be able to find this contraption either. Hopefully crap like this might stimulate Some young minds to become DIY‘ers. Oh, wait this isn’t tic tok, are there even any young’ns here?

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Seriously? I can’t do anything that simple. Gotta make it more complicated. I would never find those pieces anyway. Come to think of it l probably won’t be able to find this contraption either. Hopefully crap like this might stimulate Some young minds to become DIY‘ers. Oh, wait this isn’t tic tok, are there even any young’ns here?
Ah yeah, there are some. Not all young’ns are tied to their phones and tic tac.

Master Hack

Reaction score
thought it was a strap wench? I had an even easier version. Just take a flat belt, wrap it around said object and squeeze the sides together. Now lay a piece of steel the width of the belt where they come together and use both sides of the belt and steel as a handle
So that begs another question. Is your version metric or gringo?
mine can easily be oonverted bychanging the belt!