Engine Dies On Tight Turns Or Bumps? Read This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
If your engine cuts out on bumpy ground or corners, or you cannot start your engine after filling with the correct amount of oil then try disconnecting the low oil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvRNs6RPSTM

The engine in the video is a Honda gx200 6.5hp clone engine.

The oil level switch is activated by a float.
When this float goes below a certain level the switch is activated to prevent the engine running with low oil.
However, when cornering or going over bumps this can cause the oil to slosh within the crank case and the float to bump up and down, activating the switch as if the oil level is low.

Therefore for karting uses we generally disconnect or fully remove the low oil sensor to stop the engine cutting out. If the sensor is removed, the hole can be plugged with a short bolt of the correct diameter.

Be sure to regularly check the oil level and condition after disconnecting or removing the low oil sensor, otherwise you could severely damage your engine. Many components can seize or wear rapidly within the motor with poor quality or incorrect grade oil, or worse, too little oil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronaldraasch2000

Reaction score
Hey gents could a go kart engine have a vacuum problem in the gas tank? I have a predator 6.5 hp 212 cc engine on my go kart . It dies after I ride up the road. I try the restart it and it starts then dies as if it doesn't have gas . I then open the gas tank and shut it again and it seems gas is now in the carb and it runs the same distance and dies again. I did take off the oil level gauge per the video but it still did this gas scenario. Any advice?

FYI I thought this thread could help since it is on a bumpy road

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Yessir, it certainly can. The gas cap should be vented to prevent a vaccuum, which will kill fuel flow. If that vent is plugged or otherwise not working, you will have the problem you describe.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Sounds like you found your issue. A new gas cap is $2-4 IIRC.
Maybe try running it without the cap on (carefully) first, as it could be a clogged fuel passage in the carb.
Or take it back to HF if you still have a warranty.

jcampbell

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this info. I'll try this and see if it helps. Oddly enough, we were only able to make left turns today (NASCAR-style :lol:). Hopefully this is the issue.

captain67

Reaction score
Hey gents could a go kart engine have a vacuum problem in the gas tank? I have a predator 6.5 hp 212 cc engine on my go kart . It dies after I ride up the road. I try the restart it and it starts then dies as if it doesn't have gas . I then open the gas tank and shut it again and it seems gas is now in the carb and it runs the same distance and dies again. I did take off the oil level gauge per the video but it still did this gas scenario. Any advice?

FYI I thought this thread could help since it is on a bumpy road

I had a similar problem with the 420cc pred. I was told that you need to fill the gas tank no higher than the bottom of the fill filter, not to the full level indicator, which is too high. Once my fuel level got low enough, no more stalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.