Exhaust building 101....

Status
Not open for further replies.

streetlegalkarts

Reaction score
I happen to know a little bit about this...

dose an engine "need or want" back presure? answer is no.

dose cold air hitting hot exhaust have any negitive affects? on a 4-stroke lawnmower engine. posiable but not likely.
that reffers to more proformance engine. like dragster or nascars 350's.
your exhuast vales will never see that much heat.
what back pressure dose do is help in combustion. you would get a more complete burn with a little back pressure. thats why top fuel dragsters use J-pipes.
hopfully that is a complete answer to the question.

Jake.B

Reaction score
Yeah they run terrible? And considering most two stroke engines need to be rebuilt every 200 hours i dont think it particualy good for the engine. You probably loose quite a bit of horse power to.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah they run terrible? And considering most two stroke engines need to be rebuilt every 200 hours i dont think it particualy good for the engine. You probably loose quite a bit of horse power to.

Who recommends that 2 strokes should be rebuild so often? I have never heard that one before.

Jake.B

Reaction score
My neighbor who is a very experiance mechanic and 2 stoke recreational racer said to me that about every 200 hours to rebuild the top end. This may just be for max performace but i beleived it because he knows alot.

madmeatcleaver

Reaction score
this is what i did for my little 6.5 tecumseh so that it wouldn't be so loud around the neighbors. I'm pretty sure there is some back pressure, cause it left the silencer on the tip, but it is much quieter.
go or bad for the engine?

Attachments

• IMG_20120310_140800.jpg
    IMG_20120310_140800.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20120310_140841.jpg
    IMG_20120310_140841.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 53

madmeatcleaver

Reaction score
is that super quiet?

Pretty much the only noise while idling is the engine internals and clutch, when going full throttle it has a nice lower tone that isn't nearly as piercing and deafening.

and I have a universal screw-in muffler stuck inside of the end of the big muffler which is clamped onto little one, cause I don't have a welder yet. and the rest of the piping is 3/4" galvanized pipe joints and connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.