hello everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

zephyr

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Ever since I was 9 I've always wanted to build a go kart. However, my parents never supported that dream because they wanted me to spend more time on my academics.

Ever since I was 5 I never had a free summer to do what I wanted to do, however, the upcoming summer will be the first summer I will have where I can finally build what I wanted to build for so long. Its also the first summer where I have the financial, legal and transportation ability to actually find, buy, and build what I want. I came up with about four projects that I could do and currently researching as much material as possible as to what exactly is needed to build them.

I never really pursued the dream of building a go kart until several months ago. Orginally I thought it was too expensive, as my budget has an absolute limit of $1700. So far I've been gathering as much information as possible about all the tools, skills, materials and parts needed to build a cart.

So far I have an idea as to what i want to build, but not quite sure as to how exactly I need to build it. I'm not very familiar with gas/diesel engines, car internals, so I'm currently seeking an alternative to that.

When I learned that most go karts do not use a transmission, and the speed of a kart is based on engine RPM, I looked into a past idea involving a turboshaft engine. Turboshafts generally produce higher RPMs than even the best engines can provide, between 6500 idle and up to 130k. With a set of gears i can reduce it to more workable speeds between 3500 and 25k, and by adding more teeth to the gears I can increase torque. I know that there is a handful of people that has built these, but with a much larger budget than mine.

Is it possible to build a go kart that can work with a turboshaft engine? And would it work with the parts normally for go karts?

Any replies would be great.

-Thanks

Last edited:

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hi zephyr, welcome to the site!

i don't know anything at all about turbo shafts. but you're right that speed is based on RPM. if you want to get really exciting, use a torque converter in addition to the engine. I have one on my recent project, and it's basically a transmission.

with 1700 you'll probably be able to make a really sweet kart. maybe even some suspension. welcome aboard, keep posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.