Just another noob here (Hammerhead LE-150)

Merlin703

Reaction score
I've been looking around for forums with suggestions to improve and repair GoKarts. This might be the place. I would like to get my son's GoKart running again. We have the Hammerhead LE-150. Where is the best place to post to inquire about recommendations/help to replace the carburetor with an upgraded/performance one? We took the carburetor out with the idea of cleaning it but I think it makes sense to replace it. Tim the tool man would approve that.

FYI, I also look for places in my area that sells parts and provide verbal assistance but they are 2 hours away.

Attachments

• 2024-01-03 22_01_40-New 2023 Hammerhead Off-Road LE-150 _ Go-Karts in Richmond VA _ Red HAM000...jpg
    2024-01-03 22_01_40-New 2023 Hammerhead Off-Road LE-150 _ Go-Karts in Richmond VA _ Red HAM000...jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2

Rat

Reaction score
I recently worked on a Hammerhead LE-150 🤣
It doesn't take much to wake them up a bit.
IDK why Denny is so jaded on the Hammerheads, and I will agree there are more reports of them being garbage than there is about repairs... but this is an area where Denny is best ignored.

If You have an angle grinder, a welder, and patience... I got You 💯% on this one.

Replacing the carb is useless.

Best thing you can do to get an easy gain in acceleration is to cut the silencer can open about 4" in from the rear weld (header end) and get the header removed from the first baffle plate.
Once you accomplish that you want to chop off the end of the header by about 5 or 6 inches to get rid of the catalytic core shoved in there (you'll wreck the pipe trying to punch it out, might be able to torch it out idk) then weld it all back together.

That catalytic core is prone to clogging, and removing it doesn't make the engine much louder having left the silencer baffles alone.

Removing the catalytic core will require stepping the main jet up a size.

You should check the fuel tank and system for debris, IDK if it's a common problem but the one I serviced had a layer of superfine steel powder in the bottom of the tank...origin unknown.
What didn't plug the regulator plugged the fuel filter, and what didn't plug that had settled in the carburetor and plugged it up.

The one I serviced also has a tricky keyswitch; turn it to full stop and it cranks without spark... turn it just enough to engage the starter and it fires right up.

What I did unlocked a bit of bottom end torque, and added 5 to the top speed capability.

I'm in the 276 zone FWIW

Last edited: