looking to get into welding to make kart longer

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
I use a Lincoln flux core and I’m not kidding the first thing I ever welded was a bolt to another bolt and then tried to brake them apart with a sledge... I was not successful in breaking them apart. If I wouldn’t have bought that welder I wouldn’t be on this forum. I wouldn’t of been able to weld together the engine plate on the gen1 kohler kart. Wouldn’t have been able to weld together the live axle swap kart witch I sold for a great profit. a whole minibike from scrap pipe that I am proud of. If you wanna get serious about mini’s gokarts get good with a welder and the metal you can find is your limit. 5hp mount doesn’t fit an 8hp?? It does with a welder. it’s that simple BUT! No simpler!E4A2F276-65A0-441F-B4C1-E7BCFB916ED2.jpeg

lug-nuts

Reaction score
If you go with the el cheapo HF black mig welder, I recommend doing the rectifier mod. That machine is A/C output, the bridge rectifier makes it D/C output, and it welds way better. You can pick up 100 amp 1000volt 3 phase bridge rectifier on amazon for about 10 bucks. There are videos how to install it, but its basically undo a few wires inside and install this between them. Pretty easy and makes that cheapie unit run really good. Now the videos will tell you to add a GIANT capacitor to it, you dont need to. I did the capacitor, and it wasnt worth the time, money and effort.

You can get the welder and do the mod for less than a hundred bucks right now. The next big hurdle is the welding wire, the HF stuff absolutely sucks, stay away from it. Ive had really good luck with Forney flux core wire. Get a grinder with a wire wheel too, there will be spatter that needs to be removed after you weld.

lug-nuts

Reaction score
FYI I put a good 400 hours on that cheap-O HF mig welder before it gave up. That may be a deciding factor for you as well. Spend a little more, get a unit that doesnt need a mod, and lasts longer. I dont know what your budget looks like.