Mini Jeep engine help

bparker

Reaction score
The one on the left looks like yours. May even bolt in.
I agree. It is a horizontal shaft semi auto 3 speed with reverse. I was able to find one online and it should be here via Fed Ex tomorrow. I also purchased an oil cooler and fan to keep more air circulating under the jeep.

When I began to take the old engine apart I discovered that the piston came off the wrist pin and there are chunks of metal in the bottom end of the motor (Lucky Me!)

I will keep everyone posted as to how the install goes.

IMG_6963.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6962.jpeg
    IMG_6962.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6958.jpeg
    IMG_6958.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7006.jpeg
    IMG_7006.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Did the piston seize in the bore? Can you pull it out of the cylinder? Is the bore scored up and piston scuffed? If not you might need to get junior to keep the rpm down some. That had to make a bunch of racket before it let go.

Where did you end up getting the cooler from? How much was it? That is the nicest one I’ve seen!

bparker

Reaction score
Good morning. I was able to install the new motor this past weekend. Thank you guys for the recommendations of an oil cooler and royal purple motor oil for a 4 stroke. I have 2 small fans on order to also help pull air thru the oil cooler for those extra hot days in Florida.

I was able to change the engine sprocket over from my previous engine and that allowed me to use my existing chain. Torgue and top speed seem to be sufficient.

I am going to do a break in service on the motor in the coming months. Talking with others who have more experience with Honda Clone motors, they recommend using a feeler gauge to check the 2 valves for proper clearance of .05 mm.

Attachments

• IMG_7058.jpeg
    IMG_7058.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7034.jpeg
    IMG_7034.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

bparker

Reaction score
I’m glad it has worked out for you! I wish you continued success. (For your kids sake). Where did you end up getting the engine from?

I found the engine on this website. Even though the engine wasn’t the exact same model number it still worked for the mini Jeep. It was $215 dollars. The top end and piston rebuild kits would have been slightly cheaper.

ebay had quite a few options as well.