Solid Axle vs Open Differential

l008com

Reaction score
I have a Manco Dingo (as pictured) and I'm thinking about switching from it's stock solid rear axle, to an open rear differential.

There would be lots of plusses to doing this: much easier turning, especially on pavement, much less tire wear, much less digging up the surface you are driving on.

And some minuses: you become "one wheel drive" in low traction situations. Also brakes become more complicated. But ignoring the brake thing for now, the lack of traction seems like the biggest issue with an open diff. But I was thinking about the kart the other day. How big the rear tires are and how nearly all of the weight of the kart is on the rear wheels. And it got me thinking, even on loose gravel I'd probably get pretty good traction like this, you think? Theres no suspension in this kart but the weight balance means the rear wheels are almost always firmly planted and its the front wheels that get lifted, if needed.

And even in the snow, with that much tire turning, you're probably going to get some traction unless you're truly on something like a solid sheet of ice, which would be super rare.

So I'm thinking that going to an open diff might be all upside and no downside. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 0

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Switching to an open axle means looser wheels and for a drive wheel it works and for a front floater tire it works great!

Back onto the drive wheel I’m swapping a live axle over to my mini... It only has one drive wheel but a live axle setup can eliminate 99% of wheel slop.

Rat

Reaction score
I know a way to limit the slip and get power at both wheels. Traction variable being an absolute NON issue, and absolutely no one wheel peels unless something breaks.

If I ever start another trike build, I'm going to use the method since finding a RetBar in solid viable condition isn't cost effective if it's even possible anymore.

l008com

Reaction score
So whats your secret? A miniature truetrac or torsen clutchless limited slip differential?

l008com

Reaction score
It won’t move that great in the snow. And the diff is weak and prone to breakage under hard use. Like spinning tire and then having it hook up.
The cart only has like 3 inches of ground clearance so I can't imagine its going to make much difference in the snow. Maybe my acceleration will be a little slower but I shouldn't be getting stranded any easier than I already do.

Ideally I'd love an open diff with a manual lockout but I think my best option, out of actual options available, is to just go open diff.

l008com

Reaction score
Those pearson chain powered open diff axles. Possibly brand new, possibly pulled out of an old mower or something. I haven't taken measurements or anything yet. At this point I'm still just deciding if this is even something I want to pursue or not.

Rat

Reaction score
So whats your secret? A miniature truetrac or torsen clutchless limited slip differential?
Starts with a split shaft and a pair of one way sprags on each shaft end. It ends with either side being able to overrun the other when turning, but as long as the engine is putting enough power to the wheels they will both turn at the same rate regardless... meaning drifting it like it's still a solid axle is fairly easy