Tecumseh L-Head Governor Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodWComputers

Aspiring Mow-Kart Owner
Reaction score
Now, all that's left is the governor gear shaft. You can leave this if you like, I opted to remove it. Partially because I make my own gaskets and removing it makes it easy to lay the cover down flat on a sheet of gasket material and trace it out.

So there's no downside to leaving the governor gear shaft in place? I will most likely buy a new head gasket, so making my own isn't an issue.

GoodWComputers

Aspiring Mow-Kart Owner
Reaction score
It's not the head gasket in question, it's the side cover gasket. And yes- feel free to leave the shaft in.

Sorry, had the two gaskets mixed up. That's great news about the governor shaft - I don't want to have to worry about tapping threads to install a bolt in place of it. Looking forward to doing this! Thanks again for the info.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
You just joined and that was your first post. How would you know?

Have a look at the top left of each post. You can see the date and time that it was posted. Thats how he knew the thread was old.

We usually don't mind people ressurecting Sticky threads is the have something constructive to add to the topic, but if you are just posting to say "Great!!", we frown on that

GoodWComputers

Aspiring Mow-Kart Owner
Reaction score
Have a look at the top left of each post. You can see the date and time that it was posted. Thats how he knew the thread was old.

I knew that, I meant how did he know that the engines were blown up? I was asking a question. I'm new to this forum myself, just thrown off a bit by someone else coming in and hatin' on me with their first post... :2guns:

We usually don't mind people ressurecting Sticky threads is the have something constructive to add to the topic, but if you are just posting to say "Great!!", we frown on that

I completely agree. I used to be on a Mustang forum where I was long-time member like yourself. I posted in this thread with some questions.

GoodWComputers

Aspiring Mow-Kart Owner
Reaction score
Once I tear apart the engine and remove the governor, what is the recommended procedure for throttle hookup? I've been searching around the forums and want to make sure I do the correct thing with my setup.

I've come to believe (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm trying to educate myself about this stuff) that my carburetor has a throttle linkage and a governor linkage. It has two butterfly plates on the inside. Once I remove the internal governor in the engine, I just remove the governor linkage. Is that it? Do I just leave the butterfly as is, or remove it? Or do I move the throttle linkage to the governor linkage location? See pictures below.

Attachments

• Carburetor (5).jpg
    Carburetor (5).jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Carburetor (4).jpg
    Carburetor (4).jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Carb Removed.jpg
    Carb Removed.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 6
  • Carburetor.jpg
    Carburetor.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Carburetor (2).jpg
    Carburetor (2).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 7

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Not quite. The butterfly closest to the engine is the throttle plate. The outer one is the choke. Leave the choke as it is. Once you remove the governor, remove ALL associated hardware and linkages, up to that throttle plate. Now, you will connect the throttle cable from your gas pedal directly to that throttle plate arm.

GoodWComputers

Aspiring Mow-Kart Owner
Reaction score
Not quite. The butterfly closest to the engine is the throttle plate. The outer one is the choke. Leave the choke as it is. Once you remove the governor, remove ALL associated hardware and linkages, up to that throttle plate. Now, you will connect the throttle cable from your gas pedal directly to that throttle plate arm.

Thank you! Finally a clear and concise statement that makes everything I've read so far make sense.

GoodWComputers

Aspiring Mow-Kart Owner
Reaction score
The outer one is the choke. Leave the choke as it is. Once you remove the governor, remove ALL associated hardware and linkages, up to that throttle plate.

So the choke butterfly will stay permanently open? Will I ever need to use it again?

I accept cash, money order (both CPS and USPS), certified cheque, PayPal, e-trasnfer.... LOL- Just kidding- you're welcome!

I haven't been on here a while but I can already tell how useful you are. I'll spread the word that we should keep 'ya around... lol.

:wai:

Status
Not open for further replies.