Tubing Notcher DIY Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
Have a look here.

Type in the dimensions, print out the PDF you then get, make sure it's 1:1 scale. Cut the template out.

Tape it onto the tube.

Trace the outline.

Grab an angle grinder (called sawz all in America?) with a cutting disk and and a grinding disk, or even better, a flap wheel. Cut it back to the line with the cutting disk first.

Then tidy it up with the flap wheel or grinding disk.

Perfect!

Nice and square too.

Brilliant idea isn't it? I know I'l be using this a lot in the shed! :D Even better, it costs basically nothing! :thumbsup:

*Pics and general idea nicked off another forum*

Thanks

Hayden

Attachments

• DSC_2798.jpg
    DSC_2798.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,272
  • DSC_2799.jpg
    DSC_2799.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,264
  • DSC_2800.jpg
    DSC_2800.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,264
  • DSC_2802.jpg
    DSC_2802.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,259
  • DSC_2806.jpg
    DSC_2806.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,260
  • DSC_2814.jpg
    DSC_2814.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,258
  • DSC_2803.jpg
    DSC_2803.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,269

Cam

Nz Petrolhead
Reaction score
Makes a clean fish mouth, although i would still tack it with the square in place.

I do a lot of this tubing, in and out of work, and after a while your fish mouth joints can be pretty precise, and i spend a lot of time on mine, my old man used to say just tickle the end to suit, shove the square/magnet on it and tack er up, but i like mine to look professional, like the joint above.

A lot of these small tips could do with being brought up.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
FWIW, I just used this for the first time with total success- had a tricky one to figure out and it ended up being pretty painless...

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another link to this:

--

Dan Hopper's TUBEFIT Program

Dan Hopper has written a standalone program called Tubefit that gives the same result as the Coping Calculator, when "straight in" is selected. In addition it can also calculate a template for a "straight across" cut which automatically makes a fillet for welding. The latest version is capable of making very large templates if you are willing to do some manual editing of the disc output file. Dan explains how to do this in a text file included in the download. Tubefit also gives you the option to rotate the intersection of the two tubes.

Tubefit is actually a DOS program, but it runs fine on WindowsXP. It can send a postscript file directly to the screen, to a parallel printer, or to a file. This file (postscript or .ps) can then be edited if necessary and sent to any printer.

TUBEFIT.zip (last updated 9/13/08)
readme
Derivation of Dan Hopper's TUBEFIT Algorithm

--

NOTE FROM ROBERT -- NO IDEA IF THIS STILL WORKS BUT FYI!

Status
Not open for further replies.