Welding Sun Burns

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So for the last couple of days I've been wondering why I have some dead skin sort of sloughing off my upper arms. Not really "peeling", but definitely coming off. Like a sunburn. I thought to myself, "Jeez, what do I need to do, shower twice a day?"

Then I just realized it! Sun burn from welding!!! There's definitely a reason why you ought to wear gloves and a long shirt -- that arc is throwing off some serious UV light.

mikeandike

Reaction score
what i did is i got a leather welding jacket (60 bucks on sale, size small) and i always wear gloves and pop the collar to protect my neck.

i have a question: How many of you have gotten a flash/arc eye?

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
good question, let's make a poll!

I for one got it last week... i think my helmet's battery is getting low, or something.

mikeandike

Reaction score
could you go to sleep that night? i heard that its really hard to get to sleep after getting arc-eye and your eyes burn.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't have a problem, but I didn't get it bad. Plus, I was wearing my helmet, which is always a shade 5 (i think) and then when dark is an 8 or 10. I can't remember anymore.

But if you weren't wearing a helmet at all I bet it would be terrible.

ryf

Reaction score
be very careful, a few years back when I was starting out, I got burned so bad it felt like I had sand in my eyes, they swelled overnight and I couldn't open them without using my fingers to peel the lids back. I was wearing a helmet, but I hadn't perfected my flip down technique, and got caught with my hat off a few times... it doesn't take long if that happens a few time on a good long day of fab work.... as far as the welding burning your skin.... if you are gasless mig, imagine how much slag is landing on your arms when you weld.... I used to weld in shorts and sandals, one good hot lump of molten slag changed that plan VERY quickly!

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I'm glad to be reading about this subject now because I have a new welder that I haven't used much yet, just tested it out on small pieces of metal. I have a helmet and gloves and apron and stuff so I'll be getting to weld more stuff soon and I don't wanna expose myself to anything that's gonna mess me up. I never really thought about the fact that unexposed parts could be affected by the UV put out. Thanks for the advice!

Crabapple

Reaction score
i dont think its that serious (sun arc burn), in my welding class we weld with bare arms all the time, and dont get sun burnt. But once in a while you do get a nice hot piece of slag some where like in the crook of your elbow, or some place like that.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I dunno -- I was welding a lot 3 weeks ago -- like I said, and I swear that was sunburn peeling.

I think your hands get it a lot, too. anyway, might as well be careful!

joker9494

Reaction score
U May not notice the sunburn form arc flash now, but wait till ur older ur hands will be white as a ghost if u don't start wereing gloves

Reaction score
Hmmmm, arc burn is nothing new, dress well, no need for painful eyes or skin afterward, I have found that TIG is the worst when it comes to burning your skin, I take it you are running MIG? MIG is pretty mild, same with stick when it comes to skin burn, eyes however are a different story, the only one you can get away with is Oxy/acetylene with out goggles or protection :D

robin

Reaction score
all i use to protect my self is the glass in a pice of fire prof card like try looking at the sun with a your welding mask u can see it proper

Status
Not open for further replies.