Where to drive my recreational kart

jrstlmo

Reaction score
I live in the St. Louis Missouri metro area, anyone know where I can drive my recreational kart?

Do schools, churches or businesses mind if you use their lot when no one is there?

thanks

G.W

Reaction score
I live in the St. Louis Missouri metro area, anyone know where I can drive my recreational kart?

Do schools, churches or businesses mind if you use their lot when no one is there?

thanks
As long as you are not trespassed(asked to leave) not many places will not care.

Last edited:

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score

thanks
Being from STL proper....according to youtube...minibikes and gokarts are allowed on roads and sidewalks as long as you ride with 25+ folks :ROFLMAO: 😂

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
The Harbor Freight near me has a huge parking lot. Every time I go I think about asking about turning it into a go kart track for a weekly event.

Swap meet / racing at Harbor Freight… what could be better?

The Greatest HF Parking Lot Sale Ever!

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Gewgle Map (satellite and birds eye view) your A.O. (Area of Operation) and it might reveal treasures in the form of an abandoned mall or similar which of course will have a large parking lot to rip around in.

However, always ask if in doubt (if there's someone to ask), don't be a menace (to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood) and if asked to leave by someone in authority, just apologize say you didn't know, leave and consider yourself lucky.

My girlfriend has a huge development behind her house that was a failed effort at a new subdivision. It has trails, big ponds where earth was removed (looks like), a small network of paved streets most ending in a cul de sac and a lot of overgrowth. It's basically undiscovered by kids because they'd rather play videogames 24/7.

anderkart

Reaction score
I found a few secluded parking lots to ride my kart on Sundays. I never asked anyone for permission because I assumed they'd just say no, but I soon got bored just riding around all by myself so...

Then I posted wanted ads in my local craigslist and soon found serveral others in the same exact situation as me.

I got 2 replies to my wanted ads:

My 1st reply was from a group of like 10 guys that rode & raced karts on a parking lot behind an old vacant shopping center in my town.
My 2nd reply was from a group of like 30 guys that raced their karts at a track one of the guys had built at his large acreage just outside of town.

Craigslist doesn't have a dedicated Gokart section, so I posted my wanted ads in a couple of the most likely alternatives; then I included the following keywords at the bottom of my ad (gokart, gocart, kart, cart) so folks that used the craigslist search window would find my ads no mater how they spelled the Go Kart term.

Here's a video of the track I found in my 2nd reply, I'm driving the #11 blue kart:

AlmontFun

Reaction score
Where to use a gokart legally, is always a problem. For me, we are fortunate to have a gated cottage property in Michigan that has about 40 square miles that nearly all kinds of motor vehicles can be used there on the roads and trails. And when we are not there, our home is located on 10 acres with our own trails for the kids to ride and their uncle has 45 acres about 20 miles away. We are blessed. But, it certainly would be nice to have a place, a park or something, that could be enjoyed with other gokart people. But then, liability becomes a problem.

Grizzlymi

Wolverine
Reaction score
I'm my younger days we would find new subdivisions going up in the northern Detroit burbs. It was the best when they first plotted out the roads and were freshly grated. We could usually get away with a week or so of racing around off and on when we could. Sheriffs would show up and some would just watch and leave and eventually they would ask us to leave. It was such a blast back then, early 90's. I had a 4 door Geo Spectrum at one point and I was able to fit my kart in the trunk about 3/4 of it would fit. Tie down the trunk and go! haha! We eventually talked my old man into letting us use his trailer and would have to only bring one vehicle. Oh the memories from those days.

lug-nuts

Reaction score

thanks
What kind of off recreational cart do you have ? Is it for pavement or off road ?

AlmontFun

Reaction score
Yes, all of what you stated as places to use your go-kart are going to care; liability is a big problem for them and more! My grandson just bought a go-kart for his two young boys because he now has a new house in the country on 10 acres. I have 20 acres and my eldest son has 45 acres. We have a very good/lucky situation in Michigan.

AlmontFun

Reaction score
The go-kart that I am speaking of is a old 2 person, Fox 2x5, 5hp, with roll bars and no suspension. It will be used on their grassy 10 acre property.

AlmontFun

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to say, the family also owns a cottage home here in Michigan which is on 40 square miles of privately owned land, a small part of which is/has black top paved steets.

Grizzlymi

Wolverine
Reaction score
Sounds like you're all set on places to ride! Lol. We have a place to ride, hunt and shoot on 82 acres just south of Almont. Been using that land for close to 30 years now. It's perfect, but this may be the last year with it. Bow hunted a few times so far this year and looking forward to rifle season. It's going to be a bittersweet hunt this year.

AlmontFun

Reaction score
In speaking with Grizzlymi, sounds like we will be hearing your gun shots in a couple of weeks! The 40 square miles of which I speak are at Lost Lake Woods Club, south of Alpena (MI). Now, there are restrictions on flying radio controlled model airplanes (RemoteID) in all areas. Larger models can no longer be flown on one's own land anymore. More restrictions all of the time on things that we at one time took for granted.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Yeah-but, after all this me, me, me boasting about all their personal land, did anyone find via Gewgle Earth places for the OP to ride?

:2guns: