2017 - Gas Krazy Kart XXL - DNF

Status
Not open for further replies.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Here we go again. Another great year to do a build off.

This build log will follow me, profit, as i fail.....i mean atempt, yah atempt, to build a gas powered krazy kart.

I've already started collecting parts and ordering strange things online. Still in design phase of the project. I have a rough idea and posted some drawings on another thread already. Once i have a better idea of what the final design will be i will post the picture on this first post.

Here is the other thread with some preliminary designs
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34580

So here is my picture to start this thread. Going to be fun this year.

Attachments

• IMAG1574.jpg
    IMAG1574.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 20

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
This project really calls for a lathe :(

Need to resize this pipe down a couple thousands so my bearings will fit!

:idea2: drill, ducttape and start with 80 grit and work my way up. Cleaned up the pipe but still need a little more sanding. This pipe is 1.5" od and fits my 5/8" bearings on the inside.

This will be my steering axle. Needs to be about 10" in length.

Still need to find small sprocket to fit this od 1.5". To connect to steering wheel.

Attachments

• IMAG1575.jpg
    IMAG1575.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG1576.jpg
    IMAG1576.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG1577.jpg
    IMAG1577.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 5

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Shazbot!

I was thinking you were going to do the original from like the 70's.

lol. no not krazy kar. you missed the T on the end. krazy kart. but due to copyright infringements i cant call it Crazy Cart XL like the razor electric version. So mine is Krazy kart XXL. and XXL because i dont know how i can make it small like theirs. Mines going to be a litttttle bigggggger. see what i did there.

Here is razors electric version.

Attachments

• crazy-cart-xl.jpg
    crazy-cart-xl.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 9

DaiSan76

Reaction score
lol. no not krazy kar. you missed the T on the end. krazy kart. but due to copyright infringements i cant call it Crazy Cart XL like the razor electric version. So mine is Krazy kart XXL. and XXL because i dont know how i can make it small like theirs. Mines going to be a litttttle bigggggger. see what i did there.

Here is razors electric version.

You can call it whatever you **** well please as long as you aren't trying to pRoFiT off of it. See what I did there?

:roflol:

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Yes whirlyball. We can use mobile basketball nets and place them really far apart in the street! 9 of them....that's a lot. maybe 1 on 1 to start :)

p.s. First Axle is in town and almost at my house! maybe i can start cutting some stuff this weekend. Make some small progress.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
So i've been making jerk reactions to purchases without really knowing what im getting :mad2:

Picked up some tapered bearings for the steering and it was wrong size... So i ordered another set making sure i got the correct size and when they came in they didn't have the cup part of the bearing. :censored:

So now im trying to make one. got the ring part done from some flat stock. need to flare it out somehow...this is where a lathe and some solid pipe would come in handy. OR i keep buying bearings until i get the right CUP with it.

Side note: went to pepboys and asked if they could look up axle bearings for me and give me something with 1.5" ID. they say "make and model of car please", im like "no i need bearings with 1.5" id". Again they say, "sorry we need make and model of car to look anything up" WTF!@!!@#$#$%#$% :censored: anyways, i like pepboys, but really! i want to buy something, look it up!

So any idea how i can find a car/truck with 1.5" axle or wheel hub bearings so i can giev them that make/model? then maybe they have a CUP for them as well that i can purchase :) or at least get the pair in my hand to make sure it's correct....

Attachments

• IMAG1579.jpg
    IMAG1579.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1584.jpg
    IMAG1584.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1585.jpg
    IMAG1585.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 2

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Ask to speak to the manager. The have catalogs with all the dimensions in them if they're not too lazy to look. If the manager gives you any lip, go to the district manager. You want to buy parts, they want to sell you parts. Getting the right races shouldn't be a problem. You should be able to take the bearings you have in and have them look up the races by referencing the bearing #, I deal with bearings like this all the time at my job. I assure you can can be done, and very easily.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Okay maybe i try oreillys (kragen) or napa. we have a huge Napa warehouse down the street from me.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
I use Carquest here. The guys behind the counter don't automatically ask for make and model. They know their stock and a few really know their stuff. I'm always asking for oddball stuff and they always find what I need.

They actually know how to use those big books.
Perhaps it's cause we're so rural.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
So i went to O'Reillys and two kids at the counter. I just said i dont have a car. I need the race. So they both went into the back for a few minutes and came back out with a race that fit! yay. only $9 each. so i got 2.

So now i need to think about securing the steering bearings in place. i don't want to weld in place because i may need to take apart later.

Thinking i weld 4 nuts in the corner of the inside of the square pipe. and then i can use bolts to hold the race in place. I have a spacer for the inside to keep the bearing separated.

There is also about 1/8" space between race and inside walls of square pipe. so not sure about that space. maybe some rubber to keep vibration down? like a rubber gasket or something. ill see what i can find.

This outside square pipe will be welded to the frame of the kart.

Attachments

• IMAG1594.jpg
    IMAG1594.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG1592.jpg
    IMAG1592.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG1591.jpg
    IMAG1591.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG1589.jpg
    IMAG1589.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1588.jpg
    IMAG1588.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 3

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Some more work done this weekend. Picked up some nuts and bolts and i figure i can weld the nuts into the frame of the kart. or what will end up being the center of the frame of the kart. I need to pick up a lot more metal i think for this.

So i marked out the locations where i need to weld the bolts. drilled some holes and cut the remainder open. Crammed everything into the "center frame?", yah that works for a name, to make sure everything will fit. Looks good so far.

Ran out of time to weld it up. but these bolts are going to be welded into place so i can easily remove the bolts and pull out the steering arm and axle.

I feel i should just use stupid krazy names since if anyone is reading this far they probably have no idea what im doing. that make two of us. :roflol:

oh well, hang on for a krazy ride into the depths of my demented mind.

Attachments

• IMAG1608.jpg
    IMAG1608.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG1606.jpg
    IMAG1606.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG1604.jpg
    IMAG1604.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1598.jpg
    IMAG1598.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1597.jpg
    IMAG1597.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 2

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
The race bearing set is for the steering part of the kart. I needed a big bearing, 1st to fit over the axle and steering pipe and 2nd to hold the whole thing tight so the axle stays on center when steering, since it will go through the steering.

So it will have a separator pipe inside between both, i'll call it "steering bearings". this will keep them at a known distance apart. then the races on the outside....yah maybe better with race on inside but i'm limited on space and that would require a lot more work.

This image shows it somewhat together outside the square "center frame" piece.

IMAG1592.jpg

you can see more of what i'm trying at my right diff thread where i have some hand drawn ideas
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34580

The "steering bearings" will have almost all the weight of the kart on them. well maybe 1/2 or technically 1/3 the weight, since there will be 2 wheels in the back. But center of kart weight will be on top of this steering part on the "Center Frame" piece.

I'm thinking i need to make two plates for each end to hold the race in place better.

Not sure if that answers your question at all? Bearing on inside pointing out to wards race. race held in by backing plate, tbd.

edit: okay so i've done some research. yah maybe im backwards on this design....give me the week to think about it. and ill come up with something by the weekend maybe....I dont know how to get the race inside press fit like a motorcycle would have. without some CNC work done or lathe if i had one ;)

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Well, I haven't welded anything yet. But I think i'm going with my original plan, even though it's backwards. Need to clean up the hole and make another one for the other side. Then maybe cut a groove into it to hold the race in place?

Or i contact my friend that owns a machine shop and he charges me for a custom press fit for the race and i flip the whole thing around. (not a close friend, more of an acquaintance). although he does owe me for help with solid works....

Attachments

• IMAG1610.jpg
    IMAG1610.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1611.jpg
    IMAG1611.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1612.jpg
    IMAG1612.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.