5hp Briggs And Stratton Governor Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

solomon

Reaction score
WARNING-DAMAGE CAN OCCUR TO YOU AND ENGINE BY DOING THIS MOD

Okay, I have made a STEP by STEP tutorial for removing the governor on a 5hp FLAT HEAD Briggs engine.
This Tutorial Starts off assuming you have removed any linkage from the carburetor to the governor arm.
AND/OR have eliminated the Governor/throttle Plate.
TOTAL COST FREE

TOOLS NEEDED
7/16" wrench
3/8" wrench
Hammer (If needed)
Needle Nose Pliers
Bench Grinder (or other cutting device)

Materials
Oil Container (Tupperware works great)
PTO Gasket (can be made from cereal box, check end play after installed)

-------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 1: Remove OIL Drain Plug with 7/16 " wrench, and Drain OIL!

STEP 2: Remove Governor Arm Bolt with 3/8" wrench and remove governor arm.

STEP 3: Remove Governor Clip and Washer (if washer is there)

STEP 4: Remove ALL 6 PTO side cover bolts with 7/16" wrench.

STEP 5: Extract PTO side Cover with hands,ONLY USE A HAMMER in the Spot shown below if it won't budge, be careful, you can break PTO Side cover.

STEP 6: This is the Governor Gear, remove it with pliers.

STEP 7: Remove this WASHER!it is directly behind the governor gear!

STEP 8: This is the Governor Shaft,what you see me grabbing is the 'flap" on the shaft. Pull it towards Crankshaft

STEP 9: Use Bench grinder or "another cutting device" to remove the "flap" from the governor shaft

STEP 10: Reinstall the Governor shaft. (OPTIONAL ->) You can lube it if you wish.

STEP 11: reinstall Governor Clip

STEP 12: Reinstall PTO side cover with new gasket, and torque bolts to 15lbs or until "SNUG"

THAT'S IT YOUR DONE! YOU DO NOT NEED THE GOVERNOR ARM! NOW HOOK YOUR THROTTLE UP DIRECTLY TO CARBURETOR! AND !!ADD!! OIL
Written by Solomon
STICKY ANYONE???

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
great job... but i just jb weld that hole shut just because the off chance that it might rattle the old arm loose and back into the engine and kill something.

solomon

Reaction score
thanks guys, i hope it gets stickied =)

Freakboy, this tutorial makes it so you can just reuse things. the arm will not fall in because of step 11, plus the silicone i put on the governor shaft will help to seal it in its bushing as well. And no leaks!

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Using silicon sealer will reduce necessary clearance (.05 to .076) which prevents shaft from binding.
Might be OK cold...but what happens when it heats up.
This is why B&S gasket sets have 3 thicknesses of sump cover gaskets.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Not shooting it down. I'm assuming you want it right.
Briggs does not recommend silicone sealant for good reason.
Might get away with it a few times, but there will be the one time it will fail.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Looks better. The point is it may have worked for you, but what happens when someone tries it and it starts to bind after warm up and kills the bearing? Personally i would always just use the gasket, its cheap.

solomon

Reaction score
Very true, I have personnaly sued it on many engines, and they never binded up. And buddies of mine have done it and they still run fine. But i Agree, a Gasket Is MUCH BETTER

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Ello govna!
Goodbye govna!

Silicone is OK for patching up an old gasket in an emergency, the gasket on the side cover is very important as it sets the crankshaft end play. I like to give everything I can get away with a LIGHT smear of silicone.

solomon

Reaction score
Same here, i always tac a little bit of silicon on old gaskets and reuse them. Like .010 inches i think?

solomon

Reaction score
Exactly, i don't think you can get much thinner than .010 of an inch

truesprocket

Central Canadian
Reaction score
YAH! so do gears, go ahead slap it on! It's not the cylider head gasket

Slap it on, it's not like a cyliner head gasket, Just make sure you've cleaned it good, really good tighten it so it still has a 16th let it dry & tighten it up some more & you don't need a gasket, unless it's under high pressure & sillicone has a pretty good rating anyway, or liquid gasket. Some gaskets are not ment to have any type of added extra & would state in a manual & I'm sure you could check on-line to.
It does deteriorate over time, and that oil is constantly splashing around in there, it very well could. Bottom line silicone is a BAD IDEA.

Last edited:

solomon

Reaction score
I agree, a little silicone is fine, at least on top of the old gasket that is thinner than it was originally anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.