Barn Find BKS Grasshopper Rebuild

Con-Kartist

Reaction score
Hey All. This isn't my first rebuild but it'll be the first project that I attempt to log progress on. I picked this roller up local and pretty cheap, didn't know anything about the kart brand until I did some research on here about it. Thankfully the stickers were still intact so I was able to find some pretty cool stuff.

1699373001097.jpeg 1699373145490.jpeg

Started the tear down to find everything on the axle was rusted in place, so the sprocket ended up getting cut off, the brake disc and both bearings got PB Blasted, heated and beat into submission, one of the drive wheels was stuck too.

1699373840753.jpeg1699373885721.png

The steering shaft was bound by rust and a bent washer, it's freed up and can rotate without sounding like a cat in a dryer. The frame is stripped and cleaned up some.

1699374066901.jpeg
-More work coming soon..

Gofurgin

Reaction score
What’s the length of the frame? Cousin has one to be restored and I’m wondering if it will fit in my SUV without wheels…

Con-Kartist

Reaction score
Let me know if you find a good parts source. I’m in need of brakes, pedals and a seat cover.
GPS & BMI Karts & OMB Warehouse & Amazon is where I've been gathering my parts from. You'll be able to find the brakes and pedals you need from one of those (stay away from the cheapo Amazon parts.) I haven't found a seat cover that I feel is close enough in measurements to order, yet.

Con-Kartist

Reaction score
Update!! New steering wheel, tie rods straightened and polished, wheels are painted, new tires mounted. I’m still debating on the seat and I’m going to have to move the motor to the other side to have room for a torque converter.
1708192803086.jpeg
1708192826283.jpeg
1708192845236.jpeg

Con-Kartist

Reaction score
Since my tires are 15x6-6 I was planning on using a TAV on this cart instead of a centrifugal clutch. From factory it was a smaller 5 horse and a centri-clutch with the same size tires.

I've got two questions:

Any guesses on how the smaller engine and clutch setup was able to run this tire size and not smoke centri-clutch?

And should I run #35 or #420 chain/sprockets?