Benefit of building your own go kart

bgray30

Reaction score
Hi there, my name is Blake. I have been wanting to build my own go kart for awhile now. After looking into the cost for all the parts and hardware, it seems like it would be just as expensive, or more expensive to build one. is cost savings not one of the benefits of building your own? I am very surprised. Can someone enlighten me why i should pay more money to build one rather than just buying something off the shelf? Is it the building experience everyone is after? Thank you!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The satisfaction of being able to say I built that. A bonding project with your kids, parents or wife. Teaching moment. Keeping busy in old age. Able to kustomize to fit you. Is still cheaper than buying one. Able to make it stronger, faster, better looking. And it’s just plain old fun!
Welcome! There’s almost no down side to doing it yourself!

bgray30

Reaction score
The satisfaction of being able to say I built that. A bonding project with your kids, parents or wife. Teaching moment. Keeping busy in old age. Able to kustomize to fit you. Is still cheaper than buying one. Able to make it stronger, faster, better looking. And it’s just plain old fun!
Welcome! There’s almost no down side to doing it yourself!
Thank you appreciate the feedback. I have 3 kids 4 and under (2 boys) and can’t wait to experience building projects with them. I totally understand what you’re saying, I guess I’m just on the opposite end of the spectrum currently as far as “time” goes. It would be really fun to build one but after looking at all the costs and then looking at ones I could get off the shelf, it was kind of a bummer. I still want to build one, but justifying it right now is tough.

Master Hack

Reaction score
. Can someone enlighten me why i should pay more money to build one rather than just buying something off the shelf? Is it the building experience everyone is after? Thank you
You get the excitment of spending countless hours cutting, welding, bolting, un bolting cuttinng welds out. Then redoing it, while bleeding,suffering burns, and injured and/or missing appendages. You also get to spend unimaginable amouunts of money on tools ya never even knew existed. Some even incur expenses for marriage and/or alcohol counseling. So yeah, build one for fun and satisfaction.

Last edited:

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
You buy the kart Initially and for the most part it’s lacking in quality and excitement. Then the upgrades start adding to the initial purchase price. You have to make the decision is the stock kart you bought and modified exactly what you wanted when the mods were complete?

Or do you pick up the piece of paper with every little thing written down that cost you a single penny towards the kart and see the final build cost listed actually would of warranted a scratch build you would be happier with.