cart builders mentality

Status
Not open for further replies.

no whereman

Reaction score
for most of us out there a limited budget is a frustrating reality.But
this need not be an impediment.The monetary mindset that most people seem to suffer with these days can hinder us in so many ways.when I see a need for something the first thing I do is find any way possible to improvise,fabricate or scrounge up the object in question.the very last thing I do is spend money. if you have never checked out dumpsters for things you might be amazed at the wide array of things that are routinely tossed out.that metal plate you were gonna drop 20 bucks on,well you may have just passed a dumpster with a suitable piece on your way to spend your money.open your mind and use your imagination.when you see some potential supplies,dont see what the manufactures intent was,blender ,fan ect ect but rather what it could become. a bit of resourcefulness and willingness to consider all options can make a lack of money a lot less of a limiting factor.and besides if the monetary system ever takes a dump,you will be a lot more prepared to make do. don't be afraid to visit your local scrapyard,a virtual gold mine just waiting.yard sales,thrift stores,stuff in the ditch theres stuff for the taking all around us.do you really need that much hyped super space age tubing?common galvanized steel conduit works just fine for most fabricating applications and is way less money. do your homework and don't be so quick to believe what the marketing department would have believe.Shiny and new does not allways mean better.for the most part you get what you pay for,but that is not allways true.take the time think in unconventional ways.industries bank on peoples tendacies to rely on money to make everything occur.this breeds mental laziness that handicaps the imagination. the more you train yourself to improvise solutions with little to no money,the more you will find yourself developing the capacity to do so.and besides at the end of the day,you will have more beer money to relax and admire your latest handiwork!

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
for most of us out there a limited budget is a frustrating reality.But
this need not be an impediment.The monetary mindset that most people seem to suffer with these days can hinder us in so many ways.when I see a need for something the first thing I do is find any way possible to improvise,fabricate or scrounge up the object in question.the very last thing I do is spend money. if you have never checked out dumpsters for things you might be amazed at the wide array of things that are routinely tossed out.that metal plate you were gonna drop 20 bucks on,well you may have just passed a dumpster with a suitable piece on your way to spend your money.open your mind and use your imagination.when you see some potential supplies,dont see what the manufactures intent was,blender ,fan ect ect but rather what it could become. a bit of resourcefulness and willingness to consider all options can make a lack of money a lot less of a limiting factor.and besides if the monetary system ever takes a dump,you will be a lot more prepared to make do. don't be afraid to visit your local scrapyard,a virtual gold mine just waiting.yard sales,thrift stores,stuff in the ditch theres stuff for the taking all around us.do you really need that much hyped super space age tubing?common galvanized steel conduit works just fine for most fabricating applications and is way less money. do your homework and don't be so quick to believe what the marketing department would have believe.Shiny and new does not allways mean better.for the most part you get what you pay for,but that is not allways true.take the time think in unconventional ways.industries bank on peoples tendacies to rely on money to make everything occur.this breeds mental laziness that handicaps the imagination. the more you train yourself to improvise solutions with little to no money,the more you will find yourself developing the capacity to do so.and besides at the end of the day,you will have more beer money to relax and admire your latest handiwork!

Lol... AMEN!!! Ive lost the accumulated hours of 'days', as Ive aimlessly wandered around the shop like 'Rainman' holding a unique looking washer/nut/bolt/piece of metal... KNOWING that to complete the next step Id need that particular shaped.... 'thing'. The owner of the shop, knows when Im gonna be working on my project before I ask for the space... I walkin all focused and silent and ask things like... "Is this a part or a tool part...", as I holdup an item of unique proportions.

Ive met ALOT of folks that cannot think/see things like a fabricator(MacGyver)... they can only see things for what they were designed for. Ive even ran across a guy that didnt understand why I wanted/needed a 'wire' clothes hanger, when I explained that "I locked my keys in the car." :confused: (He didnt strike me as the brightest crayon in the box)

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Reaction score
Oh ya! I found an old shopping cart, that I used on my Murray go kart build

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 31

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Just make sure that if you use galvinised metal that you are FULLY aware of the dangers when welding. Those fumes can kill, and th galvinising should be first removed from the areas you are welding

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Reaction score
Just make sure that if you use galvinised metal that you are FULLY aware of the dangers when welding. Those fumes can kill, and th galvinising should be first removed from the areas you are welding

Oh ya!!! I sand off the area I plan to weld and wear an M3 ( pink respirator with the 2 cheek filters) for sanding and welding.

no whereman

Reaction score

good point.completely slipped my mind.galvinization is a zinc surface coating that not only gives off toxic fumes but also a lot of paints don't stick well at all.On the plus side it doesn't rust if not painted(except where welding and grinding have removed it)

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Yeah. ....pretty much preaching to the choir here.....I built my first bicycle at age 8 out of scrapped bicycles off the curb.....

Getting ready to build a fence and panel my living room with reclaimed picket fence.....

Normally I look for mass quantity first for projects. ....then I figure out what I can do with it. ...and how far the material will go......

I'm really fortunate in that the industrial complex I'm working in now has a few people who buy storage units....so the dumpster always has good stuff on it. ...bad thing is.....this may not be the best situation for a hoarder to be in.....:lolgoku:

machinist@large

Reaction score
I don't know about all that. .....the ex-wife said the fan didn't help that much with the gas........:lolgoku:

You know, I bet FMJ knows a couple of industrial surplus outfits in your area that could fix that issue for you once and for all....... Are you just looking for something that can rearrange the neighbor's back yard, or something that can relocate the house as well? (You do have 3 phase power, don't you?)

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
I don't know about all that. .....the ex-wife said the fan didn't help that much with the gas........:lolgoku:

This was just reported on the news last night..... "The sickening stench thought to be emanating from Pasadena Texas (affectionately dubbed "stinka-dena ") has now been traced to White Settlement Texas. Authorities have not ruled out a terroristic attack of some kind, but speculate its merely the stench of an overweight, under achieving, middle aged,beer guzzling, bald guy....... "
Hey Doug, can you post a selfie? Just curious....... :lolgoku:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::useless::lolgoku::bannana::bannana::2guns::horse::horse:

Jim. ..You gotta keep up. ...the Smithsonian throws out skeletons that are 6' tall and only weigh 150 lbs......for being underweight.........

Never fear guys.....more selfies on the way....maybe spandex....just remember. ....it was Jim's idea......:lolgoku:

EDIT: BTW: You missed all over the place...."middle aged"......that'd be nice....but somehow I don't think this Cancer ravaged body is going to make it to 114!!!!!!! Bald ?????? Got almost all my hair.....is the teeth that are gone.....friggin' radiation. ....."UNDERACHIEVING???? UNDERACHIEVING????? UNDERACHEAVING........ok.....I'll give you that one.....still....it's not everyone can send a killer poot 200+ miles.....LOL!!!!

DOUBLE EDIT: I used to date Twiggy and Karen Carpenter. ....they both dumped me because they said standing next to me in photo op's made them look fat......lol!

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
:funnypost:
I was pi$$€d off when I got on here, but reading this as my first post of the night....... Well I'm back to smiles.....
Doug, you're always good for a laugh..... I'm glad you're here..... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.