Clutch/Gear Puller - Simple DIY Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
Over the last few weeks I've seen many threads asking "how do I get this (place applicable description here) of my output shaft?"

In one thread I said I could show you how to make a gear puller (the leg type) but, for now, I'm going to show you haw to make a clutch puller for around $10 that will remove pretty much anything from a 3/4" shaft.

Even better, the design can be easily altered to suit 5/8" or 1" shaft.

Please read the whole description before you start

So, you will need:
1 off 5" x 3" RHS (Rectangular Hollow Section), approx 1/4" wall thickness.
1 off 5/8" x 3" grade 8 full thread bolt & nut to suit.

Attachments

• SDC10341.jpg
    SDC10341.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 13
  • SDC10342.jpg
    SDC10342.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 11
  • SDC10344.jpg
    SDC10344.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 11

OzFab

Reaction score
Find the centre point of the RHS, centre punch it & drill it with a 1/8” bit. Now you’re going to need a drill press to ensure the two holes are absolutely square & drill through both sides. Continue drilling the holes out until the bolt slips in easily. Now flip it over & drill just the top out to 3/4” (or a pinch bigger if you can).

N.B. I've shown measurements in imperial & metric for our "up to date" members :roflol:

Attachments

• SDC10343.jpg
    SDC10343.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 17
  • SDC10348.jpg
    SDC10348.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 17
  • SDC10349.jpg
    SDC10349.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 14
  • SDC10345.jpg
    SDC10345.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 14
  • SDC10346.jpg
    SDC10346.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 14

OzFab

Reaction score
Next, mark a suqare line from the edge of the larger hole to the open edge of the RHS on both sides of the hole then cut along the line to remove the section & create a long groove.

Then take a file & smooth down the edges until the groove slides easily (but not too sloppy) over the engine output shaft.

Attachments

• SDC10352.jpg
    SDC10352.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 9
  • SDC10351.jpg
    SDC10351.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 8
  • SDC10350.jpg
    SDC10350.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 8

OzFab

Reaction score
Once you're happy with the size/shape of the slot, place the nut inside & screw in the bolt on the opposite side to the slot. Use the shape of the slot to centre the bolt & tighten it (you don't need to overtighten it, hand tight will do) then weld the nut in place.

Once you're done, remove the bolt & grind the small lip off the end to give it a slight convex shape. This is to reduce binding on the end of the output shaft. A dab of grease will reduce it even more.

Guess what, you're done!:wai:

Attachments

• SDC10353.jpg
    SDC10353.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 14
  • SDC10354.jpg
    SDC10354.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 13
  • SDC10358.jpg
    SDC10358.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 14
  • SDC10366.jpg
    SDC10366.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 17
  • SDC10364.jpg
    SDC10364.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 16
  • SDC10365.jpg
    SDC10365.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 14

OzFab

Reaction score
Using this size RHS will give you an inside clearance of just on 2". If this is not enough, substitute the RHS for 6" RHS & a 4" bolt or 5" SHS (Square Hollow Section) & use a 5" bolt.

To give you some idea of how long this takes to make, I picked up the RHS at noon. It's now 3:45pm & I've made the puller & created this thread (with lunch thrown in there somewhere)

Attachments

• SDC10363.jpg
    SDC10363.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 29

OzFab

Reaction score
This is great, i have 2 clutches that are stuck.
But i will need to make one for a 1" shaft.

Thanks for sharing the idea

No probs.

Be sure to check the outside diameter of the clutch to ensure you have enough clearance. This is based on a 3/4" clutch. If not, simply use 6" RHS & cut the slot larger to suit :thumbsup:

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
but im confused on how it would actually work. i know it works but i wanna know how to use it? picture or video of it in use please

OzFab

Reaction score
Could you maybe post a pic of how the gear puller would be used (like actually putting it on a 3/4 'something' that you would like to remove). I am sure there will be a few people still scratching their heads on how to actually use it.

Looks good! Perhaps shoot a pic of it "in use", for instruction purposes.

but im confused on how it would actually work. i know it works but i wanna know how to use it? picture or video of it in use please

... & that makes three (I got a pm as well)...

Unfortunately, I currently don't have a 3/4" shaft with something on it, I don't have anything I can put on one either.

I have one or two members working on it for me, hopefully we'll see something in the next few days...

In the meantime, here's a brief description:

Remove all fasteners from the clutch & remove the outer drum.

Remove the bolt from the puller & place the puller over the clutch so you have the slot over the output shaft & the puller nut over the front of the clutch. be sure that the keyway is at the bottom.

Place a small dab of grease on the end of the puller bolt & screw it into the puller nut. Once the bolt seats on the end of the shaft, check to see that it's centred. Using a wrench, turn the bolt while holding the puller & the clutch should begin to move

fowler

Reaction score
Ha that is cool

While I don't have any use for a cent clutch puller the basic idea is great

I'll remember this for some day

Just thought I'd add u could make it quite a bit stronger very easy
Just fill in one end
Also u could get away with not welding the nut

OzFab

Reaction score
Ha that is cool

While I don't have any use for a cent clutch puller the basic idea is great

I'll remember this for some day

Just thought I'd add u could make it quite a bit stronger very easy
Just fill in one end
Also u could get away with not welding the nut

I could've made it a lot stronger by using 9mm wall too. The nut welded in place is for ease of operation so you don't have to fiddle around positioning it :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.