Clutch vs Torque Converter - Deciding whats best for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkythex

Reaction score
Can a Centrifugal Clutch work with a standard transmission?

Hello I want to check if my understanding is correct.

Let’s assume my gear ratio is correct between Centrifugal clutch & transmission & wheels. (I haven't figured it out but let’s just say I have, to keep it simple.)

Here is list of what is connected & in place:

• So i have the engine with a Centrifugal Clutch.

• I then have attached to the clutch a 2 speed transmission. (or more gears, I just found one that was a 2 speed.) connected to my clutch by chain or belt or something.

Research From http://blog.kartbuilding.net/2007/06/26/using-a-centrifugal-clutch-and-chain-drive/.

If the engine is turning over very slowly, then the centrifugal clutch is disengaged, and the kart comes to a stop. If the engine speeds up (increase Revs Per Minute rpm) then the automatic clutch will engage, and the kart will move forward.

So here is how it should work :

1. I am not moving, not hitting gas pedal; engine is idling, clutch is doing nothing.
  2. I shift in to low gear i.e. first gear. (I remember this by LOW rhymes with SLOW & should be my largest gear.)
  3. When I hit the gas pedal ; i.e. engine throttle on the engine it should increase rpm & engage clutch thus I should start to move.
  4. At top speed for low gear (for fun let’s say 10mph) I want to shift gears.
  5. I let off the gas this should decrease rpm & disengage my Centrifugal clutch.
  6. Thus I can now shift in to 2nd gear (i.e. high gear.)
  7. Then I can press gas rpm increase & engage clutch
  8. repeat as necessary if I have more higher gears (yes sample only shows 2 but Iwill probably have a 4-5 speed.)

Then I should be able to brake to slow enough to not damage anything to go down a gear in to 1st.

Or stop altogether , just make sure to down shift before applying gas again.

Is that the correct theory?

OzFab

Reaction score
Is that the correct theory?

No because a standard cent clutch won't disengage until the engine is below engagement speed; by that time you'll be moving too slow for 2nd gear. To have any chance of success you'll need a clutch with a high speed engagement...

P.S. Maybe you should've started a new thread for this...

kartsandatvs

Reaction score
Hello forum, i am a newbie, have had experience with track karts using the 160gx 5.5 hp honda engine with a 4 to 1 relation which is really an 8 to 1 because of the wet clutch (2 to 1 relation ), I am now installing a clone 6.5 hp harbor freight engine on an old 3 wheeler, using a jacksaft to obtain a 10 to 1 relation and also because the kawasaki 3 wheeler uses #520 chain and the clutch uses #40 chain, my question would be what do you think of a 10 to 1 relation with 18 inch diameter rear tires and also what 3/4 centrifual clutch would you advise me to get good price and good working clutch, I know 3 wheelers are very instable so its mainly torque and not speed I am looking for I think, thanks

Troubled1

Reaction score
Thanks for this great info. Working on parts list to order and after reading this I'm confident CC is more suitable. Now to read up on Gear Ratios. lol Thanks

karting_krazy

Reaction score
If you have not checked out the DBRC its the best there is. Its a manual clutch for $175 and can handle up to 35hp. Its 3/4 in bore and comes with a cable and clutch lever. The thing looks awesome I cant wait to buy one and test it out for myself. http://www.downsbrosracing.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.