DC CDI ignition wired to any flywheel that has a magnet.

Darren

Reaction score
Electronic ignition requires a reference point, trigger wheels (60-2) allow the computer to accurately configure timing
1) the correct position of TDC from the missing teeth 2) the precise measurement of the engine revving up and down, measuring the time difference between each tooth, we're talking milliseconds here. 30-1 is considered the minimum acceptable working resolution, my kit car is 120-2 because it's on the flywheel.
Basic electronic ignition can use a single point reference i.e. a magnetic pick up sensor, I watched the first video and didn't observe where the timing curve was programmed, is this predetermined? Ali express can supply an EFI kit that uses a magnetic pickup, I was going to purchase it until a detailed video highlighted it's drawbacks, one being a single trigger through 360degrees rotation.
Electronic ignition has several advantages over the basic magnetic coil, one being the strength of the spark, second the timing curve if it can be programmed.
The Speeduino works with tuner studio and is fully configurable, this is what I will be using on my build. I will be able to set my 'start up' timing to.. say 10degrees btdc, this may negate the need for a compression relief on the cam.
If the CDi is indeed programmable, being able to set it at 10degrees for start would be a great advantage.
I'll be watching this thread with interest :)

Rat

Reaction score
This really just seems like an unnecessary PITA. THE ONLY advantage over a stock type coil (A Dover non resistor specifically) is being able to advance or retard the ignition timing with any flywheel and stock key instead of using offset keys which don't work with ALL keyways.
(I have yet to find offset keys for a 1/4" keyway)

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
This really just seems like an unnecessary PITA. THE ONLY advantage over a stock type coil (A Dover non resistor specifically) is being able to advance or retard the ignition timing with any flywheel and stock key instead of using offset keys which don't work with ALL keyways.
(I have yet to find offset keys for a 1/4" keyway)
Not hard at all.

I believe capacitor discharge ignition would definitely be alot hotter then the stock coil.

These are the standard on four wheelers that get the absolute bag beat off them.

they are good ignitions. I’m making this one cheap. Then will buy a expensive setup that isn’t $15 china

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
I have an AC portable CDI box for any fourwheeler that has an AC CDI.. just plug this in to get spark back..

making a coil bracket for a 3-8hp Briggs would make it super easy to retrofit to any Briggs engine..

just like the AC cdi retrofits to any fourwheeler with an AC cdi.. extremely handy to have around.
BFD80F0E-880A-4365-9E3C-EF3A5C330EA7.jpeg

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
They make CDI’s where you can take a flat blade screwdriver and adjust the timing by twisting the little screw in the blue square.

wonder If that could be used to any affect on a briggs??
2CFD9D90-360A-43B7-8392-605F528EC452.jpeg

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
If you wired two coils into one CDI would it dump a spark at both plugs??

Rat

Reaction score
If you wired two coils into one CDI would it dump a spark at both plugs??
Maybe a weak spark, they'd be competing for voltage.
I think you'd have better luck with two CDI modules on one trigger or a CDI that is specifically intended for dual coils... even better yet there ARE dual fire single coils for twin cylinder engines (my 1970 Honda SL175 used one)

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Sigh I‘m not sure why it didn’t hit me I’ll need the connector.. so another probably week waiting for this to ship :mad2: we will get there eventually..20AA9389-68B4-44C7-85B6-7BC9CB4686AE.jpeg

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Anyways good news!! A guy in the forum posted the magneto demo model just 10 minutes ago!! So now I have a video of a demo model to study. And it does appear to open EXACTLY or just a hair before the trailing end of the magnet on the right leg of the pickup. So my thinking so far is extremely close.55BAAD4C-C8FE-488D-A3E8-20E07FCF6B42.jpeg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
A timing light, a degree wheel, and a piston stop are a few tools I’ve acquired since starting this hobby. New tools might be the best part of this hobby after knowledge and experience.

A video should give you a good starting point, so it’ll run. Then get the timing light on it and fine tune.

I was wondering if this ignition still fires on the exhaust stroke like the standard ignition? Or if the puter fixes that?

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
A timing light, a degree wheel, and a piston stop are a few tools I’ve acquired since starting this hobby. New tools might be the best part of this hobby after knowledge and experience.

A video should give you a good starting point, so it’ll run. Then get the timing light on it and fine tune.

I was wondering if this ignition still fires on the exhaust stroke like the standard ignition? Or if the puter fixes that?
I figure If the magnet passes under the flywheel it will still dump spark so i’m thinking it’s still a waste spark deal

Rat

Reaction score
I figure If the magnet passes under the flywheel it will still dump spark so i’m thinking it’s still a waste spark deal
That would be exactly correct and applies to almost every CDI, points and condenser, and direct induction ignition system ever designed.
Even a V-twin, P-twin, and O-twin has a wasted spark which is very often used to an advantage by having the valve timing between cylinders 180° opposed

If anything engines controlled almost exclusively by an ECM unit are the only ones that do not have a wasted spark.

Last edited:

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Portable Dc cdi is almost finished and ready for testing on the Kawasaki fourwheeler. I also am in the middle of making some Briggs 3hp-8hp pickup coil mounts. 3BA19C66-E15C-4EE7-AE1F-1F545DBB56E0.jpeg43A7C5EF-47A6-410E-94AE-C0B5E1393DFD.jpegDE8FFF00-C4E5-4344-9D4C-411D32647536.jpeg

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Both white wires to ground and the capped black wire to +12v also connect the spark plug wire. The pickup here is only wired for demo..

The wires can be shortened/neatened as needed. Going out now to wire it to the fourwheeler. C8FFE7E0-CA32-496E-979C-2CAABC11E02D.jpeg

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
I had to travel deep Into the backs of the forums to find this diagram. Only one that seems to exist on the internet somehow I found it.

two yellow Ac lines out of the bottom
black/yellow to ground
brown to monitor
white to battery +

My dc cdi produces spark. And if the regulator works I’ll have a charging system. That means on that quad at least no more direct loss ignition system anymore.

02619290-697D-4430-BB55-67938CB7A2B4.png7F3515CC-4BBD-409E-8E0E-6ECFD27F7613.jpeg