DNF - 2018 - The Flyer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geod919

Reaction score
My step daughter, "Alex"andra and I needed a project. I had always wanted a go kart, growing up, but never got around to having one. She was kind enough to offer her assistance in building one, so long as she got to ride it when it was done. Fair enough!

First things first, our official entry picture, complete with a poorly pictured sign.

Our first pile of parts!

An old radio flyer.

We went to HFT for the engine (Yes, it's a hemi) and front wheels.

We got some square tube and angle from home depot.

Seat padding and vinyl came from Joann's.

The rest came from Amazon or gopowersports.

We did some measuring and laying on the ground for a while before getting started.

Then we got stated on our frame!

Got a little too excited welding.

But a quick grinding to the corner of the engine mount let it sit place tightly.

A few stitch welds should hold our massive hp goals down.

We stopped to check seating arrangements.

When I was welding the axle mounts on, Alex told me my butt was out.

We stopped day one of work with pretty much a wheel barrow. It's starting to look like something!

Geod919

Reaction score
A little bit of work done today. Engine bolted down, axle centered and tightened, axle sprocket installed.

Kansaskart

Reaction score
Wow. I need to get with it. Mines still sitting in the weeds lol. I'm almost done with my other one want to finish it first. Yours is cool always liked those.

Geod919

Reaction score
Alright! Four tires on the ground.

Still need:
Steering (wheel and shaft are just resting there for display purposes)
Pedals and cables
Brake band mounting
Seat
Wing

I think we should also add some support tubes going to the front near the steering knuckles.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Looking nice. And before you know it, this is what she will be driving. :thumbsup: I'd figure you would be giving her some safety equipment so I added a helmet and knee pads :D .

Attachments

• gokartcompleted.jpg
    gokartcompleted.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 20

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Be careful with those harbor freight wheels they disentegrate quite rapidly on a go kart. They aren’t designed for more than dolly use. It’s been proven around here multiple times. About 10-15 minutes and they come apart.

But nice build. I had one with a 2-stroke a few years ago.

Geod919

Reaction score
Be careful with those harbor freight wheels they disintegrate quite rapidly on a go kart. They aren’t designed for more than dolly use. It’s been proven around here multiple times. About 10-15 minutes and they come apart.

I had looked into that. There were two sets of wheels/tires this size. I sprung for the better set with what looked like a turf saver pattern tire instead of the dolly wheels.

Nosandwich

The REAL Poboy
Reaction score
You still got the crappy wheels we are talking about. Should have bought a burger with that money.
We can see the pics....trust us...those are total crap.

anickode

Reaction score
This aren't the same as the $5 horrible freight ones. They are a one-piece wheel with a different tire.

the tires are probably not balanced very well at all, nor are they perfectly round, and they won't last very long, but you don't have to worry about the wheel itself collapsing, which is the main danger of cheap split-rim hand truck wheels. That, and the bearings disintegrating and the wheel falling off.

Order some high speed wheel bearings from BMI or gopowersports. Then ride it until the tires are shot. If you spend most of your time on grass, they should last a little while. If the rims seem to run true, you can order new go kart tires and reuse the same Wheels as long as you've put better bearings in them.

By budget build kart has 13" one-piece hand truck wheels (not from HF) on the front. I put in some high speed bearings and ran em. They're a little shaky at 40mph, but it's because the tires aren't perfectly symmetrical or balanced. The tread is holding up okay, but not as well as a go-kart Tire would. When those tires wear out, I will just buy some new tires and keep using the rims. But they got me rolling for $15 each (plus a couple bucks for the bearings)

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
That looks good. I love these “ flyer “ karts.
1 suggestion put another cross bar on the front of you engine plate. Believe it or not 6.5 hp will twist the plate. And constantly putting the chain back on is a pain. Plus trying to figure out why the chain kept coming off. Add it now and you won’t have to weld and repaint later.

Geod919

Reaction score
That looks good. I love these “ flyer “ karts.
Thanks! One of the goals is to not cut into the tub, but we'll see how it goes.

The engine mount cross member has been a consideration, especially as we don't have enough stiffness to translate steering caster into rear tire jacking yet. We'll see!

Geod919

Reaction score
Got into the garage and worked on our project for the first time in a couple months.

One of the steering "C's" was clocked incorrectly. We cut it off and rewelded.

We made a tie rod that connects the front wheels together, and installed. Also got a lower steering pivot point installed.

And here is the reason work has been slow.

She is turning 1 very soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.