Electric motor based Dyno build

busted_blocks

Reaction score
I did a bunch of research into home built dyno's. There are a lot of options and the simplest is probably something based on a motorcycle brake. For me though, I want something that can run continuously at 10kW or there abouts. I started playing with some numbers and a hydraulic based system would be complicated and pretty expensive. They can be reasonably priced if you don't want to run continuously. I also set a budget for this project of $500. Now to be fair this is a soft limit but still, if I had to spend double, I'd be pretty annoyed with myself.

Design goals:
Test engines up to 20+HP
Continuous run ability up to 10kW
Cost under $500
Simulate arbitrary engine loading patterns (simulate track conditions)
Log to a computer

I came up with the idea to use a large permanent magnet motor as my load. By shorting the windings together, I should be able to create resistance for the motor. Using some electronics to PWM the short condition on/off I can simulate different loading. I've tried this manually and it works, but I have yet to test it with electronics. Fingers crossed this works.

I've been sourcing scrap yard parts to keep the cost down. I found a used electric car motor. It's 80kW, water cooled and free shipping. So that's what I'm going wtih. I found a metal frame from something that had welded tabs on the bottom where I can install my isolation feet, so my neighbors downstairs don't hate me. I already have the isolation feet so I won't count those in my budget :). Metal frame is way way overkill, but cheap so what the heck. I did weld on an extra bar as originally there was some kind of roller. My welds look like the dogs breakfast, but so far I haven't had any fail.

I think I have electronics around from a spot welder I built that should work. This motor is 320V so I need some high voltage MOSFets and bought a set of 600V 54A MOSfets. I'm not sure if they are used or fake, but it's worth giving them a try.

It was a bit of a challenge to find the spline that came on the motor. I haven't have to measure a spline before. After much searching I figured out it's likely ANSI B92.1, 16/32 DP, 30° 16T spline which of course isn't common. I drew one up in CAD and had it laser cut today. What do you know? fit's like a glove. Now I have the confidence in the measuring to order a sleeve.

I ordered a set of gears, one for the GX200s (clutch 428 chain 13 tooth) and a matching sprocket 22 teeth for the electric motor.

To measure the output power of the engine under test, There will be a torque arm on the electric motor connected to a load cell ($15). This will give the torque which along with the RPM can be used to find the horse power. Equations to follow later when I get around to writing the software. To do this the electric motor must be free to rotate. The front of the electric motor is 80mm so I got a suitable bearing and found a scrap motor mount that I bored out to fit the bearing. The back of the motor needed a shaft for another bearing but no need for anything big. More scrap yard junk, bearing in pillow block , aluminum bar and some machining and the electric motor is mounted.

That's about where I'm at. I didn't add up the numbers but I should still be able to afford water pump, water tank, radiator and fan.

I'm currently having trouble deciding how to best orient this massive table so when it's bolted to the floor I still have room to work and film the engine while they are running. I've attached a bunch of pics. I hope they make some sense with the story so far.

This is a learning process for me. I haven't made a dyno before and there is still plenty of places this could go horribly wrong :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• test setup2.jpg
    test setup2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • test setup1.jpg
    test setup1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • bearing mount test.jpg
    bearing mount test.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • bearing mount.jpg
    bearing mount.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • frame1.jpg
    frame1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • weld.jpg
    weld.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • spline test2.png
    spline test2.png
    683.2 KB · Views: 7
  • spline test.png
    spline test.png
    489.4 KB · Views: 6
  • motor spec.png
    motor spec.png
    940.9 KB · Views: 8

busted_blocks

Reaction score
I got a chance to test the control method today with a smaller electric motor. Worked great. With a PWM signal to the mosfets I can control the resistance (braking force) and it's very smooth.

Next step is to finish the mechanical assembly. Once that's done I'll work on the electronics. I tested the high voltage mosfets I bought, 100% fake but maybe still high voltage. Regardless it's all good news.

I don't think I'll have time to do more until next weekend, but I'm pretty sure this is going to work.

Attachments

• mosfet test.jpg
    mosfet test.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • arduino.jpg
    arduino.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

busted_blocks

Reaction score
So I've been working on the dyno when I can. I have the electric motor mounted with the load sensor. I figured out the internal temperature sensors in the motor are PT1000 as well. Unfortunately the rpm/position sensor in the motor is a resolver which is too complicated to implement just to get RPM. I removed it and made up a hall effect sensor PCB to put in. I also designed a little ESP32 based controller to control the resistance and log data. ESP32 has wi-fi and Bluetooth so it should let me connect things to a computer or phone in the future. This won't be the final controller, more of hacked together solution, but should work for testing. I'm hoping to actually have an engine under test next week. It relies on the electronics not taking too long but there is hope. I'm getting very close. I also got a water pump and hose to keep the motor cool.

I also got some spline collars and got some sprockets welded.

Attachments

• dyno1.jpg
    dyno1.jpg
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 5
  • contgroller.png
    contgroller.png
    290.7 KB · Views: 3
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    770.7 KB · Views: 4
  • load cell.jpg
    load cell.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 2
  • motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • resolver.jpg
    resolver.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • encoder1.png
    encoder1.png
    225 KB · Views: 5
  • encoder2.jpg
    encoder2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Until it works, it's just a bunch of parts sitting on a table :ROFLMAO:
Test & tune.
It's the best way I learned.

Congrats 👏 👏 on trying, keep it up... you will learn more.

I learned pretty quick on the small block Mopar back in the dirt.... short track days.

Gotta fast lesson about the ol might dollar.... went to the small block chevy.......then quickly learned.....How to DIAL in the POWER when YOU need IT to be there.

There's vehicles sold over on this side of the world that makes over 700hp. They claim to be a daily driver.

Who am I to judge???? The speed limit is only 70mph.

I've made plenty of ole junk sbc's get to that 70mph mark quicker in a shorter distance than that 700hp over rated, over priced stuff.

Torque to tires, at the right time..... wins every time.

Jus takes a lil testing & tuning, 😉 😉
Good luck, keep testing 💪 👍.

busted_blocks

Reaction score
Test & tune.
It's the best way I learned.

Congrats 👏 👏 on trying, keep it up... you will learn more.

I learned pretty quick on the small block Mopar back in the dirt.... short track days.

Gotta fast lesson about the ol might dollar.... went to the small block chevy.......then quickly learned.....How to DIAL in the POWER when YOU need IT to be there.

There's vehicles sold over on this side of the world that makes over 700hp. They claim to be a daily driver.

Who am I to judge???? The speed limit is only 70mph.

I've made plenty of ole junk sbc's get to that 70mph mark quicker in a shorter distance than that 700hp over rated, over priced stuff.

Torque to tires, at the right time..... wins every time.

Jus takes a lil testing & tuning, 😉 😉
Good luck, keep testing 💪 👍.
Thanks, I'm 85% sure this will work. I have a few days off to work on it starting tomorrow. The only way I know how to learn stuff is try, break it and figure out why it broke :ROFLMAO:

700HP? Might be overkill for a daily driver lol. I've noticed a trend here with all the EVs on the road. It's metric so speed limit is 120km/h but they all drive at 100km/h to get better range. Good luck going 120km/h anywhere. I was on the highway 4 hours today and might have seem 105km/h once. Not sure what I'd do with more power ;)

I got a little progress, I assembled the hall effect sensor PCB, tested it and got it installed. Put a lick of paint on the stand and now I can mount the motor back and work on the control electronics tomorrow.

Attachments

• hall sensor.jpg
    hall sensor.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • hall sensor2.jpg
    hall sensor2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0