Expert Help Needed

Goldwinger

Reaction score
I have a Carter Kart with a jack shaft. When the engine is running on the jack stand it will quit when I apply the brake. I thought the chain was too tight so I added a half link. Still no joy. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Rat

Reaction score
Assuming you have a Hilliard clutch, you would need to be around 2800 rpm to for the clutch to grab enough to do that. It doesn't matter if you have a TC or a Hilliard, your wheels should never turn at idle. Some slow rotation on stands is normal as it's enduced by driveline friction, but if it going faster than safe to grab bare handed with more force that can be stopped that way... there's a definite mechanical problem

SO, check your throttle control movement (make sure it's FULLY returning to the idle position)

Check throttle cable tension, there should be a small amount of slack in it off throttle when fully in the idle position.

If the previous suggestions are in spec, then the next thing is to back the idle speed screw off slowly with the engine running until it gets choppy and fighting to not stall, then slowly turn the screw back in only enough to get the lowest speed smoothest idle.

If at this point it's still an issue, something is wrong with the clutch allowing it to engage too easily, or not allowing it to disengage ever

Goldwinger

Reaction score
Denny, When I got the kart I took the clutch and cleaned it up the best I could. It spun freely in my hand. Yes I oiled the bronze bushing.

Rat

Reaction score
Denny, When I got the kart I took the clutch and cleaned it up the best I could. It spun freely in my hand. Yes I oiled the bronze bushing.
If it spins freely, it would seem the only other answer is the springs are shot allowing the flyweights to engage far too soon

Goldwinger

Reaction score
Good to know. I already ordered another clutch, but I’m going to try to “repair” the old one.
FWIW, I have totally restored this kart and will sell it to a very enthusiastic young teenager for $100.
Thanks for all the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_2168.jpeg
    IMG_2168.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2164.jpeg
    IMG_2164.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2166.jpeg
    IMG_2166.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2165.jpeg
    IMG_2165.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 25

Rat

Reaction score
Good to know. I already ordered another clutch, but I’m going to try to “repair” the old one.
FWIW, I have totally restored this kart and will sell it to a very enthusiastic young teenager for $100.
Thanks for all the advice.
That is a completely different clutch than I was figuring it for... never seen a Hilliard set up as belt drive and that definitely isn't a TC set up.

Rat

Reaction score
You’re not trying to mix a CVT with a centrifugal clutch are you? Because it won’t work!
It's definitely a Hilliard with a pulley/ belt driven jackshaft in the pic... but its the first I've ever seen that was a belt instead of a 41 or 420 chain. The worst part is it looks damned near brand new.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
But every set up I’ve seen like that has been for a 40 series or chain driven like you said. So now I’m confused.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
It’s just a centrifugal belt clutch.. they are like $40

I can’t help you with the engine shutting off..

If that driven spreads apart under load tge belt is gonna shred itself.

Goldwinger

Reaction score
It's definitely a Hilliard with a pulley/ belt driven jackshaft in the pic... but its the first I've ever seen that was a belt instead of a 41 or 420 chain. The worst part is it looks damned near brand new.
I will take that as a compliment. Here are the before pictures…

Attachments

• IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1062.jpeg
    IMG_1062.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1065.jpeg
    IMG_1065.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Is the driven pulley splitting apart when revved??? The front pulley cannot change size. But the back pulley can can spread dropping the belt into a groove it cannot catch on.. The driven gets bigger and the belt wouldn’t grab. Let off the gas it re-grabs and lugs out?

Goldwinger

Reaction score
Is the driven pulley splitting apart when revved??? The front pulley cannot change size. But the back pulley can can spread dropping the belt into a groove it cannot catch on.. The driven gets bigger and the belt wouldn’t grab. Let off the gas it re-grabs and lugs out?
It's a centrifugal clutch not a torque converter.