First drift trike build

NJtrikes

Reaction score
Hi all. My son and I are looking to build a drift trike and need some guidance.

1. I have seen tons of pictures and articles about building but very few plans with dimensions or specifics on materials. if you have any to share please do!
2. any frame kits out there that are good? I found one on eBay that looks ok but with shipping it’s almost $400 and you still have to weld ( which I am OK doing)
3. Where are you sourcing parts for the front end? I am looking all over for fat tire forks., wheels and tires but cant find anything that is reasonable in cost.
4. source for the rear end/axle parts. I found BMI but would like to shop around a bit.

thanks in advance!

NJtrikes

Reaction score
Thanks all. We are intending to fab the frame with Square/round tube and a welder. I have some learning to do on the welding front, but thats part of the fun!

Some follow up ?s...

Will a BMX sized wheel work or is it worth trying to find a Fat Tire (26x4)? The Fat Trie bikes are much harder to come by used.

For the axle bearings, any preference on Pillow Blocks or Bearing Hangers?

Master Hack

Reaction score
Will a BMX sized wheel work or is it worth trying to find a Fat Tire (26x4)? The Fat Trie bikes are much harder to come by used.

For the axle bearings, any preference on Pillow Blocks or Bearing Hangers?
Don’t know if l would waste the time and expense on fat tire stuff. I’ve seen plenty with regular bicycle parts.

its your design use whatever fits your needs, ease of fabrication, looks

NJtrikes

Reaction score
So I ordered the axlekit, wheels and tires but am having a hell of a time mounting the tires on the wheel. I tried and was not successful so took it to a tire shop and they are struggling as well. I watched a bunch a videos and the tires were so much softer. You can stand on the sidewall end the barely budge. Any ideas/tips??

these are the tires
SunF Go-Kart & Kart-Racer Slick Tire 11x7.10-5, 4-Ply, Smooth Tread, Tubeless https://a.co/d/1ZeYM5K

wheels:
5" Douglas Polished Aluminum Wheel
Width x Backspacing: 7.5'' x 3.5'' (DWT705-24)

Master Hack

Reaction score
I'm trying to learn about drift trikes, the grandbrats want one. I've been looking at designs etc. So humor me with an answer to a stupid question:
I see some with foot pegs on the front axle as here. When yer sideways in a deep drift doesn't the wheel rub against which ever leg is on the inside of the turn? Seems to me with the azz end pitched out and the wheel turned to compensate the angle would create a interference point.
So what be the story?

NJtrikes

Reaction score
Honestly not sure. I have never rode one. I have seen videos of both and both seem to work ok. For this i figure if feet on the wheel pegs goes not work ill add the the bars off frame.