Gokart project for my son

Evanguy

Reaction score
This all started in December because my wife wanted me out of the house so she could mop the floors, I didn't really have anything on the go so I went to the shop to tinker around and before I knew it I was making spindles for a go kart. My son use to have a power wheels and loved it, but we have since moved across the country and didn't bring it with us.

i just used stuff I had sitting around other the the rear axle kit, torque converter and rear tires, i bought the tires from princess auto, torque converter and the axle kit from amazon. all in I'm just under to $350 can (260 usd). oh i bought the seat too.

the motor was from a 1.5" water pump but had a 20mm short shaft on the crank and only external threads so i took it apart and threaded a stub onto the crank then machined it all to 3/4" and drill and tapped the end for the torque converter.

other then that the motor is a stock Honda GX120

the gearing is 10t on the T/C and 60t on the rear axle 420 chain and the rear wheels are 16" dia.

the max speed with me in it (155 pounds) is 39kph (24mph) but when my son uses it adjust the throttle stop screw so it will only do 20kph (12mph) after he gets more experience ill open it up for him.

the only semi issue us how heavy the steering is, i used 16* caster and 10*kpa so there is a lot of jacking and its really not needed for this cart at all.

Last edited:

Evanguy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. My next project is a drift trike and I'll post that as I build it. My engine parts should be showing up today.

And as for the caster, I do wish I used 7*. But when I googled "how much caster on a go-kart" I get lots of answers that range from 14-20* although I have no idea what type of kart they are talking about

Last edited: