Grand Daddy Build

eface2face

Reaction score
I am going to attempt to keep a log of my Grand Daddy build! This will be my first time trying to log everything on a forum so This should be interesting.

I have decided to start this project with my 11 year son who has been asking for a go kart. So I said we can do this together and I figured I would use it to teach him fabrication and project management. We purchased the plans from spidercarts. We bought all the steel and weldment parts already but I stopped there because I wanted to modify the plans to better fit our needs and wants. I also picked up a Honda GX390.

I did have a few questions I wanted to get advice for.

Axle material and size. I am building this so adults can play to so I want to make sure that I have a good strong axle that will last. Can anyone point me in he right direction?

Suspension: what is recommended for shocks? It seems that the shocks are weak from what I have been reading. But this isn’t going to be used in a crazy off-road situation.

Spindles: What are good spindles to get?

I planned to run 22” ATV wheels and tires because I have them but would like feedback on that as well. I am assuming I will have to get adapters to fit the hubs. Are the hubs that BMI has any good or is there better options?

I am excited about this project mainly to live though my son with this. Thank you for the advice and time.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
A 1” solid steel axle will be fine. Keep the bearings as close to the hubs as practical and possible. GoKart Supply, MFG Supply, Azusa and Go Power sports all have the hubs you may want along with BMI. I myself prefer stepped axles and proper 4”x4” to fit. 22” tires are a great choice. Take plenty of pictures and ask for help when needed. We’ll leave the light on. Check out MTScott’s and TNTThomas’ build threads for ideas.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. The shocks you find at the typical go kart supply shops
( like mentioned by Denny ) will work good enough. They are not comparable to those found on a modern side by side ( many with 20 + inches of wheel travel )
but will be plenty adequate for normal off road karting use. I have 4 karts that are used 100% off road. Three have suspension front and rear. One has suspension on the front axle only. All of the shocks are like the ones sold by Go Power Sports,
or OMB Warehouse. Nothing elaborate or expensive. The difference between the fully suspended karts and the one with the front axle only is absolutely SHOCKING in ride quality. Pun completely intended.

TNThomas

Reaction score
Welcome in! As Denny said, take a look at my build for some good answers to your questions. Its generally pretty good, but I personally suggest stretching the cab a few inches (I did a full foot stretch on the cab, but I am 6'9", and it fits great). Extend your steering box out a few inches, and your A-Arms will need to be lengthened as well. My tires are about 22" If I am thinking right, and the extended box and A-arms help them to clear the frame. Also, once you feel comfy, definitely change as you see fit. For Spindles look up trailer axle/spindle kits online. There is an American-made weld on trailer axles that can be easily cut/welded to fit as front spindles. Way heavier duty than a go-cart, and you can choose your bolt pattern to match. Get some DOM tubing, and weld that on for the vertical part that holds the bold for the tie rods. For the rear, the "heavy duty" Hubs should work just fine, I welded a few gussents on mine to beef the inside/backside up a bit. I have had good success with Monroe shocks, all part numbers listed on my post. Goodluck, and have fun!