• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Happy 401 Day!

Master Hack

Reaction score
Buick-Nailhead-V8-street-rod-.jpeg

I'm I gonna have to do all the cool 4xx engines?Or is sumbuddy gonna jump in and help?
Maybe we can see some obscure forgotten engines.

panchothedog

Reaction score
The nail head Buick engine when properly dressed ( like the one you posted ) is easily the prettiest over head valve engine of all time. Second only to a well dressed flathead.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Didn't Caddy have a 472 in th 70's. I know, Denny. There aren't 72 days in April, or any other month. Hack did ask for help. Just doing my part for humanity. But
we'll have to wait till June 11th to celebrate it.

Rat

Reaction score
Didn't Caddy have a 472 in th 70's. I know, Denny. There aren't 72 days in April, or any other month. Hack did ask for help. Just doing my part for humanity. But
we'll have to wait till June 11th to celebrate it.
Sounds about right for a land barge.
My ol man had a 75 Lincoln Continental which had the 460 in it.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Modern Caddy's can be fast. Heck, most every major brand builds some very potent machinery. BUT UGLY, ( not necessarily the cars ) but the engines, my God
who wants to look at that. Between coil on plug ignition and the plastic engine covers, keep the hood closed please.

panchothedog

Reaction score
RAT. Are you one of those two fellas admiring that slightly used Plymouth. Beautiful car ( not that one ) but with the big fins and all the chrome. Depending on the make, from about 52 until 62 Detroit built the prettiest things to ever roll on four wheels. Back when STYLE mattered.

Rat

Reaction score
RAT. Are you one of those two fellas admiring that slightly used Plymouth. Beautiful car ( not that one ) but with the big fins and all the chrome. Depending on the make, from about 52 until 62 Detroit built the prettiest things to ever roll on four wheels. Back when STYLE mattered.
My preferred eras of vehicles all had lots of curved and chrome (well nickel actually) or raw power and looked perpetually pissedoff ranging from 32 Ford to 69 Coronet with its "wasp wing" bumper surrounding the grille, even trucks such as the 49 F100 or 65 Chevy Stepside.

I hate the soulless, disposable, cookie cutter crap churned out in the modern market. The automotive industry pretty much nuetered in the 70's (before my time) by the 80's was in limp mode, mid/late 90's all sense of style, personality, uniqueness, and effort was obsolete.
As a general rule of thumb I don't like any vehicle not older than myself... but there's maybe a handful.
I have a weak spot for certain underdog lemons like the Pacer, Pinto, Chevette, and Gremlin.

My thing is despite the unrealistic nature of the very concept, vehicles used to be built with the absolute intention that they last literally forever; they were works of art that had personality, many failed designs were simply ahead of their time and nothing more.

I'm not one of those "ooh cool car" type idiots... I dig in and dig deep when I see something I like then get lost in the history.

Random crap like the fact that there was never a Corvette built in sheet steel EVER; and before the modern abominations all attempts to make a mid engine one failed abysmally to make it past the protype phase and deemed to costly to send into full scale production (Aerovette being the main one).
Then there's the Turbine powered Chrysler, or the Fact that Oldsmobile is one of the FIRST (independent) automobile companies of the US, the Olds Tornado was the first FULL sized Domestic vehicle to be FWD, and the only one to remain that way from the first to the last ones ever built.

What really killed John DeLorean's DMC12 was one part the stainless steel skin essentially glued to the fiberglass body made it too damned heavy for the anemic smog motors of the era so it was a horrible performing gas hog, and one part the cost of the then "exotic material" drove up the retail cost astronomically. Most also don't know there was an AM-EX 24k plated SE version as an AM-Ex Gold member promotional offer (only 3 were ordered and built, only one is known to still exist)

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
While it is true there were no complete corvette bodies made from anything other than clay or fiberglass. There was an engineering mule that was attempted to be made from steel. Long before it was finished though the plug was pulled. It was deemed it would be too costly to tool up for it. From the pictures I saw it never got more than a roof skin. I had an engineer/teacher at the GM Tech center who actually worked with Pinafarina in Italy on it. Cars were never ever designed to last a long time. The US auto industry invented the term planned obsolescence in fact. The reason cars were built so heavy duty back then was to survive the mud, gravel, wooden, brick roads of the day. Still have gravel roads by me.

Rat

Reaction score
The reason cars were built so heavy duty back then was to survive the mud, gravel, wooden, brick roads of the day.
Perhaps, but in that case they held up better than intended... lots of them in my area begging to be rescued as old as 1928 up into the early 70's

Rat

Reaction score
Modern Caddy's can be fast. Heck, most every major brand builds some very potent machinery. BUT UGLY, ( not necessarily the cars ) but the engines, my God
who wants to look at that. Between coil on plug ignition and the plastic engine covers, keep the hood closed please.
I know what you mean, having an engine fire in an 05 Impala SS leaves little to rebuild on account of all the plastic melting down the valley into the pan. Honestly you weren't far off, in the last 3 years it has become impossible to tell a Ford from a Chevy or Dodge without emblems and badges.
I mis the day of design when you only needed a glancing look at just one design element of any given vehicle and would just automatically be able to know exactly what it was within a 1-2 year accuracy.