Hello from the Bay Area (california)

NVHS Bike Tech Club

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

First time go-kart builder here. I'm a civics teacher at a continuation high school where I run a bike tech club that teaches students how to restore, and or modify their bikes. I used to have one of those off-road go-karts from Pep-Boy's as a kid, and I've recently begun to introduce fabrication and welding to my students so that we can work on two go-kart frames we've recently acquired. On my own time, I fabricate and do all the major repairs on my Jeep Cherokee, but this is my first time teaching it to teens ages 15-19, who have largely never even used power tools much less worked with engines, suspension, etc.

I have these two frames, but to be honest I have little information on them so I'm all ears if you all have any suggestions as to how I can guide my students on these two projects. One frame has an engine, and the other does not but I just recently bought a Briggs Stratton engine for it. :auto:

Attachments

• IMG_4709.jpg
    IMG_4709.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4793.jpg
    IMG_4793.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4796.jpg
    IMG_4796.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4794.jpg
    IMG_4794.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 11

panchothedog

Reaction score
Thank you for what you are doing. Hopefully you can get a few of these young people guided in the right direction. Don't worry about what brand the frames are.
Very few factory original parts are available. Finish building them using pictures of existing karts and common sense. LOTS of help available here on this forum. Post your questions ( specific ) along with pictures and you'll be amazed at the amount of knowledgeable help you will receive.

TNThomas

Reaction score
Good to hear and welcome in! As a fellow teacher (HS Science), I say bravo! They will never forget their first times learning to build/fix things, especially practical and fun things! I'm currently just trying to get to space with my students. Right now we are on a high-altitude weather balloon mission. Got one to about 95,000-110,000 feet a few years ago, and they want to run another round. I may start a go-kart building elective class at our school in the near future as I believe we could qualify for a state grant to pay for materials. Pic is the last view from the GoPro before the battery died. I had to wait till mid July to hike into the mountains and get it. Still had about 6" of snow.

1702453784238.png

Last edited: