Help getting wheel thread fixed?

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Ok..update. was successfully able to re thread spindles with the Tao.

Now, the passenger tire won't go all the way onto the spindle. There is a gap where it gets stuck and hence can't get the nut on far enough to secure.

Tried tapping it on further...but I'm stuck, won't go further and won't come off.

Any suggestions on how to remove the wheel?

Ohh boy this is a tough Xmas present.
My grandsons buggy has those same strut assembly.

His front wheels have 2 different size bearings (id). The bigger id bearing goes on the inside, towards buggy.

Pull the wheel back off and measure the spindle to see if it takes 2 different size bearings.

They might have the wrong bearings in the wheel.

dsepo

Reaction score
I was able to get the wheel off. It seems like the bearing off center a little which won't allow me to fully seat the tire. Does these pics help? Anyway to fix the bearing?

Attachments

• 20240103_144006.jpg
    20240103_144006.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240103_143943.jpg
    20240103_143943.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240103_143927.jpg
    20240103_143927.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
I was able to get the wheel off. It seems like the bearing off center a little which won't allow me to fully seat the tire. Does these pics help? Anyway to fix the bearing?
Yea that spindle takes 2 different bearings.

Do you see a number on the small bearing???

Can you get the small bearing out without destroying it???

A Punch and hammer will usally get em out.

dsepo

Reaction score
Yea that spindle takes 2 different bearings.

Do you see a number on the small bearing???

Can you get the small bearing out without destroying it???

A Punch and hammer will usally get em out.
What isnthe objective of getting it out? To replace it with another? Or put is back in seated better?

Sorry...new to kart maintaince so appreciate the help.

I will see if I can get a number off it. Also have a parts diagram for the car that maybe shows it.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
What isnthe objective of getting it out? To replace it with another? Or put is back in seated better?

Sorry...new to kart maintaince so appreciate the help.

I will see if I can get a number off it. Also have a parts diagram for the car that maybe shows it.
Get it out and look to see what's going on with it.

Is it the bearing, wheel or spindle thats causing the problem????

Sometimes, we gotta take stuff apart, to learn how they work.

dsepo

Reaction score
Get it out and look to see what's going on with it.

Is it the bearing, wheel or spindle thats causing the problem????

Sometimes, we gotta take stuff apart, to learn how they work.
I don't know what is causing the problem. When I slide the wheel onto the spindle it gets stuck and won't go all the way on so I can't fully tighten the wheel nut.

It look like on the inside of the bearing it is 'square' i.e. I can visually see like it isn't in alignment...so maybe preventing it from sliding on properly.

Would any commercial (tire store) be able to help? The kids are losing their patience to get their Christmas present going and I'm not really sure what is off or where to get parts.

dsepo

Reaction score
Maybe it is. I can see a mark on the spindle where I tried to get it on.

If it is a burr...would I just polish/sand/grind the spindle a little to see if it helps?

Master Hack

Reaction score
I would sand that off if it is a rough spot, but it looks like there is something odd with the wheel. Take the bearings out of the wheel and see how they fit on the spindle. Something wrong there and the only way to figger it out is to take it apart. I've found getting frustrated and PO'ed doesn't fix much. Wrenches and whiskey- now there is a solution!

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
I don't know what is causing the problem. When I slide the wheel onto the spindle it gets stuck and won't go all the way on so I can't fully tighten the wheel nut.

It look like on the inside of the bearing it is 'square' i.e. I can visually see like it isn't in alignment...so maybe preventing it from sliding on properly.

Would any commercial (tire store) be able to help? The kids are losing their patience to get their Christmas present going and I'm not really sure what is off or where to get parts.
Try cleaning the spindle with sand paper and/or a wire wheel on a drill.

These things are mass produced and not perfect.

The bearing could be installed wrong, sqeezing on the inner race and not letting it go over the spindle.

A small engine or mower shop will have more knowledge about these small bearings then a tire shop.

They might jus have the right bearings, I got bearings in over 20 different sizes, for different spindles.

dsepo

Reaction score
Upon further inspection it looks like one of the bearings isn't seated right and off center.

Any DIY method to remove and repeat?

dsepo

Reaction score
Bearings out...thx. Now trying to put the bearing on the spindle and no go. Looks like the spindle needs some griding or such.

I tried the wire wheel and sandpaper...no go yet. Is there anything else I should try more aggressive to file it down?

Attachments

• 20240103_172430.jpg
    20240103_172430.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

dsepo

Reaction score
Success!

Looks like there were both issues with the spindles that needed to be filled as well as the bearings not sitting right.

Thanks you sooooo much for the help. Not to finish the assembly and hopefully the kids driving soon.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Success!

Looks like there were both issues with the spindles that needed to be filled as well as the bearings not sitting right.

Thanks you sooooo much for the help. Not to finish the assembly and hopefully the kids driving soon.
Congrats 👏 👏 👏, great job dad!!!!!!

Do yourself a favor, go around and check every nut, bolt, chain, master link, steering linkage, throttle cable, brake lines, every single part on that thing.