Lil Indian Fun Kart restored

Tricky Ricky

Reaction score
One of two known to exist of approximately 200 built by the same company that built the iconic Lil Indian Mini bikes

Attachments

• IMG_4358.jpeg
    IMG_4358.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4357.jpeg
    IMG_4357.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4356.jpeg
    IMG_4356.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4355.jpeg
    IMG_4355.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4354.jpeg
    IMG_4354.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4353.jpeg
    IMG_4353.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4352.jpeg
    IMG_4352.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4351.jpeg
    IMG_4351.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28

Steve 5.0 HP

Reaction score
There are at least 3 known examples, because I have actually have one. Mine has the has the Delta Dart-Kart Style front bumper. It has the High-End package, with Aircraft-style sealed tire rods ends, and Robinson Engineering Brake shoes. My Dad bought it for me on my 11th birthday. I have had it ever since (46 years!). Many people have tried to "Grift" it out of me over the years, but I resisted. I actually chained it with a padlock to my Mom's Garage Rafters, and someone tried to steal it. They got the "Blown" Tecumseh Engine, but the chain kept the frame safe. It is a little rusty now, and has been painted many times over the years. It started out as powder coat blue, was painted over with red, then sandblasted, and painted bright orange. The one wheel drive was always a shortcoming, and I always wanted to convert it to 2WD, but I never got around to it.
I think a lot of these got stolen over the years, then when the thief tired of it, he destroyed the evidence, so there aren't many left. I have found over the years that there are three types of Madness/Fevers that take over a mans brain: (1). Gold Fever, (2). Water Property Fever, and (3), Go-Cart Fever!

Tricky Ricky

Reaction score
There are at least 3 known examples, because I have actually have one. Mine has the has the Delta Dart-Kart Style front bumper. It has the High-End package, with Aircraft-style sealed tire rods ends, and Robinson Engineering Brake shoes. My Dad bought it for me on my 11th birthday. I have had it ever since (46 years!). Many people have tried to "Grift" it out of me over the years, but I resisted. I actually chained it with a padlock to my Mom's Garage Rafters, and someone tried to steal it. They got the "Blown" Tecumseh Engine, but the chain kept the frame safe. It is a little rusty now, and has been painted many times over the years. It started out as powder coat blue, was painted over with red, then sandblasted, and painted bright orange. The one wheel drive was always a shortcoming, and I always wanted to convert it to 2WD, but I never got around to it.
I think a lot of these got stolen over the years, then when the thief tired of it, he destroyed the evidence, so there aren't many left. I have found over the years that there are three types of Madness/Fevers that take over a mans brain: (1). Gold Fever, (2). Water Property Fever, and (3), Go-Cart Fever!
Would love to see a picture when you have an opportunity

Steve 5.0 HP

Reaction score
Mine is pretty rough. It needs to be restored. I had lot of fun and hard miles on it. It is also different than yours, as it has a Rupp style drop front axle. Your's seems to have the Manco/Sears Strait front axle. After all these years, I did not know the manufacturer, as it has no markings or a serial number on it. It took me 20 years of Googling to find out what it actually was. I though it might be some Rupp Derivative for the longest time. I had 6 inch Rupp Turbo wheels on the rear (from a minibike someone gave me around 1979). I bought it from a kid across the street in 1977 ish. It had a blown Tecumseh 3.5 HP on it then (from the Factory). Next birthday: 5HP Tecumseh, made the thing scream. I only weighed 70 lbs, so 45 MPH with a Rupp sprocket was heaven. The kid's Dad was an executive for Ford, so money was not an object. He bought it new from a high-end Hardware Store in Birmingham, MI(near where they were made). I don't have any idea what year model it Is(was). The neighbors constantly called the cops on me. Not for any public safety purposes, but because I had a sweet go-cart, and their kid, did not.

Tricky Ricky

Reaction score
Mine is pretty rough. It needs to be restored. I had lot of fun and hard miles on it. It is also different than yours, as it has a Rupp style drop front axle. Your's seems to have the Manco/Sears Strait front axle. After all these years, I did not know the manufacturer, as it has no markings or a serial number on it. It took me 20 years of Googling to find out what it actually was. I though it might be some Rupp Derivative for the longest time. I had 6 inch Rupp Turbo wheels on the rear (from a minibike someone gave me around 1979). I bought it from a kid across the street in 1977 ish. It had a blown Tecumseh 3.5 HP on it then (from the Factory). Next birthday: 5HP Tecumseh, made the thing scream. I only weighed 70 lbs, so 45 MPH with a Rupp sprocket was heaven. The kid's Dad was an executive for Ford, so money was not an object. He bought it new from a high-end Hardware Store in Birmingham, MI(near where they were made). I don't have any idea what year model it Is(was). The neighbors constantly called the cops on me. Not for any public safety purposes, but because I had a sweet go-cart, and their kid, did not.
The Macrina boys only made one type of go kart called the “Fun Kart” it did not have any camber or toe in the front axle. Id like to see a picture of yours so perhaps I could help you Identify what it is. Or maybe if it is a Lil Indian the original front end was damaged and replaced with a Rupp style. damaging these karts would have been difficult as they are quite heavy and well built. Please post a picture.

Grizzlymi

Wolverine
Reaction score
Nice looking kart and great job on the resto! I've had plenty of Lil Indian and Ruttman mini bikes throughout my life and could find these on garbage day by the curb if I was lucky as a kid. They were made not far from me. Never a go kart from them though and always wanted one.