Live Axle vs Single Wheel Drive (1wd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Ok, I have seen lots of questions on this and I thought I would write something up.
Differences:
live axle:
transferes the engine power to an axle driving BOTH wheels (the axle turns)

1 wheel drive:
transferes the engine power to drive ONE wheel (the wheel turns)

Parts:
live axle:
sprocket or pulley
belt or chain
sprocket carrier
axle (usually 1" and some 1"bar can be used)
wheels
bearings (pillow block work great)
brakes (hydraulic disc>mech disc> band)
cost from $100

1wd
sprocket that can mount on a wheel or pulley
chain or belt
stub axle (bolt)
wheels whith bearings
brakes usually band

live axle tips
•mount the wheels and sprocket and brakes as close to the bearing as possible to prevent bending
• don't weld the sprocket on, instead use the carrier and a key (square bar that fits in a slit in the axle)
*live axle is harder to turn, unless a diff is fitted.
*gives better grip than 1wd

Attachments

• 3987.jpg
    3987.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 1335_lg.jpg
    1335_lg.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 31

fowler

Reaction score
also live axil makes it hard to turn, gives under steer
unless u fit a diff which lets both wheels spin at different speeds around corners
but live axil is better for grip

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
thanks for explaining this i was wondering about this the other day... one wheel drive just sounds horrible... but also i was wondering what you guys think of this go kart kit... speaking of live axle
http://gokartsusa.com/azusa3557gokart.aspx

One wheel is great for on road, not so much for off road. That kart looks a little small to me but im not sure how tall you are.

StayyyFlyyy

Reaction score
no i looked up the place and it has bad bad reviews. I wish i knew how to weld, had a welder, and a garage lol

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
Good guide but I'd just like to point out the definition for a live axle is that the axle turns, the definition for a dead axle is that it doesn't turn.

One wheel drive on a live axle and 2 wheel drive on a dead axle are both absolutely possible.

I have buggy with a one wheel drive live axle, there is simply a bearing in one wheel. This means that the the sprocket and brake disc can be mounted anywhere along the axle so they can be lined up easier.

Two wheel drive on a dead axle can be done by having a long jack shaft with a sprocket on each end with chains going down down to each wheel. I have an idea for a reverse gear using a set up to this, I'l elaborate if anyone wants me to.

Thanks

Hayden

Status
Not open for further replies.