Marco Critter 2 Sprocket Help

logicsound

Reaction score
Looking for help with a Marco Critter 2 sprocket.

Total newbie with karts so go easy on me!

I was given this cart and I wanted to replace the drive tire because it was bald and basically undrivable since it had no traction. After hours of trying to get the new tire bead to seat I finally took the sprocket off so I could get better access to it but still could not get it and gave up.

Fast forward 2 years and now I finally got back to it and got the tire on, but the chain pops off. I am pretty sure I have the sprocket on wrong because the gears do not line up.

Does anyone have a Critter 2 that they can send me pics of or look at the pictures I posted and tell me what I have wrong?

I am pretty sure these 2 gears should line up... and the reason why my chain pops off.

Thanks for any and all help!!

Attachments

• Image (002).jpeg
    Image (002).jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • Image (003).jpeg
    Image (003).jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • Image (005).jpeg
    Image (005).jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Looking for help with a Marco Critter 2 sprocket.

Total newbie with karts so go easy on me!

I was given this cart and I wanted to replace the drive tire because it was bald and basically undrivable since it had no traction. After hours of trying to get the new tire bead to seat I finally took the sprocket off so I could get better access to it but still could not get it and gave up.

Fast forward 2 years and now I finally got back to it and got the tire on, but the chain pops off. I am pretty sure I have the sprocket on wrong because the gears do not line up.

Does anyone have a Critter 2 that they can send me pics of or look at the pictures I posted and tell me what I have wrong?

I am pretty sure these 2 gears should line up... and the reason why my chain pops off.

Thanks for any and all help!!
Flip your clutch around, or remove a nut from your sprocket bolts. Welcome to the forum!

panchothedog

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Hard to understand how come you can't figure this out.
it's just an alignment problem. Space the big sprocket farther out, or better yet
turn the clutch around and then move the big sprocket inboard to align with the clutch sprocket. It will be stronger because everything will be in closer. if resting the sprocket on a single or double course of nuts ( as it is now ) doesn't
get you the alignment you need replace the nuts with washers to get the proper spacing. Pretty simple.

pearl111

Reaction score
If this was my project, I would put a washer or 2 between the nut and sprocket to line up the gears, kinda like panchothedog said.
Or I can't tell by your pics. but maybe there might be enough to readjust the motor on the motor mount plate.
Not to be mean but study and look at your pictures, you are so close to alinement,.... should only take a washer or two, to line things up.

logicsound

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Hard to understand how come you can't figure this out.
it's just an alignment problem. Space the big sprocket farther out, or better yet
turn the clutch around and then move the big sprocket inboard to align with the clutch sprocket. It will be stronger because everything will be in closer. if resting the sprocket on a single or double course of nuts ( as it is now ) doesn't
get you the alignment you need replace the nuts with washers to get the proper spacing. Pretty simple.
Thanks for the kind words.... Never worked on a Go Kart before and I guess I figured all the bolts needed to be tight and did not need to change anything since it worked before. My fault for not taking pictures before I took it apart.

I will try to loosen the bolts to get it lined up (FYI the only bolt that I can loosen is the one at the end by the rim and I feel like that will make it loose and wobble, but I will try it out, (all the others are just spacers as they do not thread on).

Sorry for not being able to figure it out on my own.....

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.... Never worked on a Go Kart before and I guess I figured all the bolts needed to be tight and did not need to change anything since it worked before. My fault for not taking pictures before I took it apart.

I will try to loosen the bolts to get it lined up (FYI the only bolt that I can loosen is the one at the end by the rim and I feel like that will make it loose and wobble, but I will try it out, (all the others are just spacers as they do not thread on).

Sorry for not being able to figure it out on my own.....
No that’s what we are here for, we all don’t see things that we should sometimes. It takes time, but no one is a master overnight. Rome was not built in a day.