Need help with Manco 2 seater

KingdomDreamz

Reaction score
989C928F-1607-4CB2-94C1-1E9918FD0BFC.jpeg317D59C1-B111-4C41-AD5C-60B818E1DD5E.jpeg19461822-0671-4339-94E1-240594BF32DF.jpegHello all,

I’m new to this forum and working on servicing a Manco 2 seater (can’t remember model number), which is pictured below. I’ve had it about a year and it runs pretty good but the chain was ran too loose and ate the teeth on the sprocket near the clutch, so I’m waiting on one I ordered to get here.

My main question - Is there anything I can do to help it steer better in the front without eating the tires? Some minimally complicated way to introduce camber, or some sort of bolt on kit that will help it to turn easier (especially at lower speeds. It has the live rear axle, so I know that contributes to it not wanting to turn due to both wheels spinning at the same speed, but is there anything that can be done to improve upon the factory design in that regard?

Secondary question - The rear sprocket on the axle sits very close to the ground and the clearance sucks. Is there a way that I can put a smaller sprocket there and maybe a slightly bigger sprocket on the shaft where the clutch is and achieve a similar balance of acceleration/speed?

Sorry if these are stupid questions to a more experienced gokart building crowd. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
Easiest way to adjust the camber would be to decide which way you want to go then, grab a 4-1/2 inch angle grinder and say you want the tires to kick in at the top some, take a cutoff wheel and from the top cut the axle tube about 3/4 way thru and then bend axle (closing the gap you made) and weld it solid

Since no MS paint on this computer...I tried to make it easy for you to understand...... :unsure:

SO you see the dino's with laser eye beams? That's the area.

Enjoy

@KingdomDreamz

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Camber won’t help it steer better, maybe worse. What you need is Ackerman angle to help it steer. Look it up. You’ll need a welder for that though. Do not put on a smaller axle sprocket and a bigger clutch sprocket, you will only screw up your drive ratio. Build a sprocket guard instead.

panchothedog

Reaction score
You could put on taller rear tires. Clearance doesn't really look that bad. What size is on there now. Are you mostly on asphalt, or offroad. All of my karts eat front tires on the street. Most of their use is off road. Follow Danny's advice. Your thoughts on sprocket changes are backwards. You can always try leaning forward when you turn, putting more weight on the front. I doubt that it would really help much. Poor steering is kinda built into the machine.

G.W

Reaction score
I'd try taller front tire with a more aggressive tread. This will allow for the wheels to dig in more and have better traction in turns. Another good thing is to adjust your alignment.

Ifnyou make the inner tire steer more than. The outer it will also allow for a tighter and better turn. I don't remember how to do this, but I have done it before.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
:welcome2:
Try a few things before you have to cut. Some front weight may help. Get it on some dirt and learn throttle timing for sliding. Other than that the sprocket guard is a great idea and maybe some larger wheels.

Reactions: G.W

G.W

Reaction score
As far as the clearance goes, you can put a smaller sprocket on and add a jackshaft, but jackshafts are confusing and a pain in the @$$

G.W

Reaction score
OP my cut and hack deal above is an extreme tip...take with a grain of salt 😉 because camber won't make much difference like has been said
It actually depends on the kart. My full suspension kart camber does make a difference because of the weight shift onto I ne wheel and letting off the other.

KingdomDreamz

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice and input, I appreciate the responses.
It looks like the consensus is - no easy way to greatly affect a change in the steering and easiest way to get more clearance is a tire change.

Someone asked about driving surface, that’s going to be mostly dirt trail, but some driving through the neighborhood by the kids. I don’t really drive the thing around, it’s mostly my kids and my wife. I usually stick to the quads and my dirtbike, but it is fun to take it for a little spin once in a while. Thank you again for the replies.

electraglide

Reaction score
There might be an inexpensive way to get what you want. Truth be told I also am just learning. I think @Denny is right about proper ackerman angle. I am not sure but maybe replacing and installing an adjustable tie rod you can achieve proper angle. Here are two links ... understanding ackerman angle and go kart steering geometry explained ...... they will lead to other videos on steering ........

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=understanding+steering+akerman+angle+chart&form=HDRSC3&first=1

KingdomDreamz

Reaction score
Thank you for the resources sir, I appreciate it and will check them out. Got her back running today and she’s running pretty good. On the dirt she does good enough so I might just leave it alone for now. If the kids start riding down the neighborhood road more then I might make some adjustments to try and save the tires. Thank you all for your contributions.

NightHawkJ30

Reaction score
View attachment 139154View attachment 139155View attachment 139156Hello all,

I’m new to this forum and working on servicing a Manco 2 seater (can’t remember model number), which is pictured below. I’ve had it about a year and it runs pretty good but the chain was ran too loose and ate the teeth on the sprocket near the clutch, so I’m waiting on one I ordered to get here.

My main question - Is there anything I can do to help it steer better in the front without eating the tires? Some minimally complicated way to introduce camber, or some sort of bolt on kit that will help it to turn easier (especially at lower speeds. It has the live rear axle, so I know that contributes to it not wanting to turn due to both wheels spinning at the same speed, but is there anything that can be done to improve upon the factory design in that regard?

Secondary question - The rear sprocket on the axle sits very close to the ground and the clearance sucks. Is there a way that I can put a smaller sprocket there and maybe a slightly bigger sprocket on the shaft where the clutch is and achieve a similar balance of acceleration/speed?

Sorry if these are stupid questions to a more experienced gokart building crowd. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
For front to help steer alittle better make sure the tire pressure is 3.6 Psi or at 4psi. I know on mine i keep all tires to 3.6 psi and the drive wheel even 4psi. It says on the drive cover decal to 3.6 psi front and rear. But over the years found out. My set up works good. Also make sure your tie rod ends oiled and are not worn. And look for any bending. These Karts dont have power steering lol. But little things like this can help.

NightHawkJ30

Reaction score
View attachment 139154View attachment 139155View attachment 139156Hello all,

I see your Manco gokart is torque converter gokart which is real nice because of that to help your clearance issue for the rear you could put alittle bigger tires in the back. To help get some more ground clearance.

KingdomDreamz

Reaction score
I see your Manco gokart is torque converter gokart which is real nice because of that to help your clearance issue for the rear you could put alittle bigger tires in the back. To help get some more ground clearance.
10-4, thank you for the response and advice.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
It's a live axle kart which means that they are difficult to turn because both rear wheels turn at the same speed regardless, instead of allowing the inside wheel to slow while the outside wheel speeds up, as with a differential. The live axle fights a turn and naturally prefers to go straight. In order to induce a turn you do need some power applied (gas it!) as well, and sharp turns by the same token will slow the kart down. Sometimes the front wheels will plow or understeer instead of grabbing the road surface (and the kart will go more in a straight line than turning).

Steering off the pavement on dirt, grass, snow and sand is easier because the surface will allow the rear wheels to slip or break contact, meaning the wheel on the inside can break contact and permit the outer wheel to speed up as it covers the distance (being on the outside of the turn).

Aside from all that, I noticed the kart's pedals are installed incorrectly. The gas pedal should be removed, flipped 180° and installed where the brake pedal is and vice versa for the brake pedal. The pedals are designed for comfort, for the natural foot posture and to "cradle" the foot so it doesn't slip off the pedal and go into the spinning tires or worse.

Suspect the pedals were altered to accommodate a short small child, or just taken off and put on incorrectly, either way it's not ideal. On the included pic, the kart geometry isn't always perfect--the pedals are way "out there" and even though your heels are placed on or right behind the front axle tube, your feet would be past the kart's boundaries, exposed more or less. It's better on larger Manco karts like yours . . .

Should be oriented like this:

1A6EF41C-E27D-43B4-B308-94AA50927A35_1_201_a.jpeg