new to me go kart: yerf dog 3203

powerstorm815

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here and just recently bought a go kart for my kids and I to fix up. i'm having issues with the throttle cable as the set up is different from the " regular" set up. mine has a metal rod from the gas pedal to under the seat with a spring attachment at the end AND then has an attachment where another cable would attach to that would go to the engine. my issue is what size throttle cable would it be because the distance is shorter than the regular cable? i hope this makes sense and mine isn't the only 3203 kart with this set up. thanks!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Check BMI, GoKart Supply, OMB, MFG Supply, Azusa or Go Power Sports. They’re the big suppliers for GoKart parts. They may have what you need.

panchothedog

Reaction score
I own that same kart and have purchased the correct throttle cable from Go Power Sports.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Can't show you a picture right now because my kart is outside, under a cover, up on the trailer. So I did the next best thing. Went to the Go Power Sports website, and under go kart parts, cables, page #2, Yerf Dog throttle cable.
sku 36000700 upc 662652705469 . I think it's $18.95. Pretty darn easy to find. Did you even try looking it up. I am pretty sure that I bought 2, so tomorrow I will try to dig out the new one and take a picture of it. But guess what. It is going to look exactly like the picture of the one on Go Power Sports website. Go to their website and order it. It fit perfectly, was the right length, and no modifications were needed.

powerstorm815

Reaction score
Is this the correct set up?

Attachments

• 17076936997098116104321841395433.jpg
    17076936997098116104321841395433.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 17076937264011709486274119299897.jpg
    17076937264011709486274119299897.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7

hardcorps

Reaction score
Put your cable through the other attachment point for a better, more linear pull.
That top left cable clamp point is for when the cable comes from the side instead of the back. You can move the part that holds the outer cable to the holes in the top right of the bracket if you want your cable to work from the side. That mechanism works either way.

021224cable.jpg

hardcorps

Reaction score
Here's a video (not mine) that shows cable installation from the side.
It's the same thing from the back, just uses the other two attachment points.

powerstorm815

Reaction score
Thank you.
What about the other picture? I noticed the throttle cable does absolutely nothing when the pedal is pushed...

hardcorps

Reaction score
When you step on the pedal it should pull the rod. The rod should pull the cable. The cable should pull the throttle lever.
The throttle lever should pull the governor arm via a spring. The governor arm should push the carb butterfly via a rod.

021224cable2.jpg

hardcorps

Reaction score
021224cable3.jpg

021224cable4.jpg

You need to adjust the cable so it goes from butterfly closed at idle and wide open throttle. You don't want foot pressure trying to force the linkage beyond wide open throttle. Adjust so that pedal all the way down just barely gets wide open throttle on the carb end.

hardcorps

Reaction score
That looks like a 224 with aftermarket air filter. If that air filter and an aftermarket muffler was installed it should probably have a bigger jet in the carb to run right.

powerstorm815

Reaction score
When you step on the pedal it should pull the rod. The rod should pull the cable. The cable should pull the throttle lever.
The throttle lever should pull the governor arm via a spring. The governor arm should push the carb butterfly via a rod.

View attachment 145472
See when I step on the pedal, the rod with the spring moves but not the throttle cable.

hardcorps

Reaction score
Is the cable broken? The inner wire part should be one piece such that when you pull one end the other end gets pulled into the outer cable housing. The clamp on the engine side should only clamp down on the outer cable housing.
In the first pic of your rod and spring you show the cable housing adjustment at one extreme. In the latest pic of the spring and rod you show the cable housing adjustment at the other extreme. Ideally those nuts should be somewhere near the middle so you have some adjustment there, if needed.

hardcorps

Reaction score
Maybe you have the cable wrong on the rod. The bolt should lock the ring to the rod. The cable needs to be attached to the ring somehow.