Predator 212 hemi .010 head gasket

dougmag86

Reaction score
I swapped my head gasket on my go kart predator 212 hemi to a thinner one (.010) and now it won't start it's getting gas and spark but still won't start even with starter fluid I checked the valve lash and all and it feels like it's lost compression a little compared to before any one have any idea why?

panchothedog

Reaction score
If it's lost compression you have the valve set wrong. The exhaust valve has a built in comparison release to prevent kickback when starting. Once the exaust
valve closes it reopens very slightly. After it closes a 2nd time from this event is the correct time to set the valve lash. Pull the plug, take off the valve cover, and
turn the engine over several times until you get the timing down.

Rat

Reaction score
If it's lost compression you have the valve set wrong. The exhaust valve has a built in comparison release to prevent kickback when starting. Once the exaust
valve closes it reopens very slightly. After it closes a 2nd time from this event is the correct time to set the valve lash. Pull the plug, take off the valve cover, and
turn the engine over several times until you get the timing down.
I just roll them backwards to defeat the automatic compression release when setting lash 🤷🏻‍♂️

Another thing to consider is by swapping to a thinner head gasket, you are effectively making your pushrods longer by the difference of thickness so you may upset the valve timing a bit.
Idk maybe try retarding the cam by 1 tooth

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
No! Don’t retard the cam by any teeth. It will have no effect except to make you wonder why your engine won’t start now. Just relash your valves properly.

Reactions: Rat

panchothedog

Reaction score
The .025" to . 035" max difference thickness of head gasket is not enough to
change anything related to the valve train. I have gone from .010" to . 045" ,
set the valves and had them fire right up. If all he did is swap head gaskets
and now there is less compression it can't be much else other than miss
adjusted valves .