• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Predator 212 ridding mower

Reaction score
I built this power wheels recently and now I want to build a lawnmower to ride to school. The problem I am having is that I want to use a 212 which is horizontal shaft but the transmission in it is for a vertical shaft. I would like to have gears because that would be cool excpecialy with reverse but if not I may need a solid axle. What would be better, to use a solid axle or try this?IMG_1651.jpeg

Last edited:

Reaction score
Yeah I know the plastics are junk so was the original motor that's why I'm building this
20240307_125413.jpg

Master Hack

Reaction score
I wouldn't use the belt contraption above. I think you might be setting yourself up for failure. That belt thing reminds me of my old '62 Corvair.
The fan belt was like the above and needed a lot of attention or it would start throwing belts. Your power demand on the belt is going to be bigger.
I had a similar dilemma with a project. I used a hydostatic trans axle out of a ride'm mower. Vertical shaft is I believe you are referring to in your post. You mistakingly stated horizontal when describing both pieces (I think) Same problem as yours I resolved is with a Predator vertical shaft engine. A few bux more but an easy solution. If I missed the point (as usual) then nevermind.

BTW get the mower out of the way, in the last pic, so we can see the old truck!

D75_2022.JPG

Last edited:

Reaction score
I wouldn't use the belt contraption above. I think you might be setting yourself up for failure. That belt thing reminds me of my old '62 Corvair.
The fan belt was like the above and needed a lot of attention or it would start throwing belts. Your power demand on the belt is going to be bigger.
I had a similar dilemma with a project. I used a hydostatic trans axle out of a ride'm mower. Vertical shaft is I believe you are referring to in your post. You mistakingly stated horizontal when describing both pieces (I think) Same problem as yours I resolved is with a Predator vertical shaft engine. A few bux more but an easy solution. If I missed the point (as usual) then nevermind.

BTW get the mower out of the way, in the last pic, so we can see the old truck!

View attachment 146282
Yes you were correct I had a typo. So would I be better off with a centrifugal clutch and a sprocket with a new axle?

Reaction score
That truck Is a dodge
I belive it’s a 1947. I will try to get some pictures today, we aren’t allowed to have our phones anymore so I got to try and sneak it. It should be fine though since that teacher doesnt care unless the admin are in the classroom searching for peoples phones

Reaction score
Will this impress the chicks nowadays?
no, not where I go to school. maybe like 10-15 years ago. My mom won’t let me ride it (or get my license or let me drive until I’m 18 and it’s all I ever dreamed of since I was 5 years old. I have been trying to save up my money for so long and make money since I was young, but nope I guess she won’t let me drive. It makes me really really mad) but it still will be fun to build and then maybe sell it

Reaction score
Now a days ya impress the chicks with an lphone 47, or whatever the latest and greatest is.
That’s what I’m trying to say they wont care now but years ago it would have probably been cooler. Thats why I wish I was born more when my parents were born even though that isn't possible. Either way I think it would be cool to build that especially to ride to school since I have to walk

Reaction score
Now a days ya impress the chicks with an lphone 47, or whatever the latest and greatest is.
By the way that’s not true for all of them, I got a girlfriend and I don’t even have a iPhone so……

and that power wheels helped me out since I texted a photo and said oops wrong person 😂 (it was on purpose) and so far it has been going good from there

Master Hack

Reaction score
As for your clutch question, the answer is it depends. What engine are you planning on using? Small verticle shaft engines have a 7/8 shaft. Mabe salvage a clutch from a mower. Some have electromagnetic clutches that are purdy cool.

Reaction score
As for your clutch question, the answer is it depends. What engine are you planning on using? Small verticle shaft engines have a 7/8 shaft. Mabe salvage a clutch from a mower. Some have electromagnetic clutches that are purdy cool.
I think I’m going to use a predator 212 or maybe 224 they are basically the same. Also they are horizontal shaft so I need a new axle but I’m wondering if I just use a clutch and a sprocket or a torque converter and sprocket or if there are better options

Master Hack

Reaction score
I believe your biggest challenge is going to be converting from horisontal shaft to vertical. The belt contraption above will work, but won't be without its own challenges. Hey if GM can do it you can also. even if it was 60 some years ago.