Razor Drifter Set up Upgrade question

Spraguevid

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to messing around with karts but my sons been wanting one and our neighbor was throwing out a non working Razor ground force drifter. I had gotten it up and running but then wanted to upgrade it for my son to a 36v so I bought a 36v controller and throttle, 36v 12 AH batteries, and a charger
(Input AC 100 - 120V 50/60Hz, output 36V 1.5A (1500mA))

After charging all night it only lasted like 10 mins of drive time. I was anticipating about 30 mins.. Is there anything glaring that I overlooked here?

Two other things:
-I realized I had the batteries wired in parallel so I just wired in series (maybe because it wasn't getting the minimum V it was automatically cutting out?)
-Also noticed the charger light never turned green after charging all night. (not sure why that is)

This is my first run at this so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Vinny

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to messing around with karts but my sons been wanting one and our neighbor was throwing out a non working Razor ground force drifter. I had gotten it up and running but then wanted to upgrade it for my son to a 36v so I bought a 36v controller and throttle, 36v 12 AH batteries, and a charger
(Input AC 100 - 120V 50/60Hz, output 36V 1.5A (1500mA))

After charging all night it only lasted like 10 mins of drive time. I was anticipating about 30 mins.. Is there anything glaring that I overlooked here?

Two other things:
-I realized I had the batteries wired in parallel so I just wired in series (maybe because it wasn't getting the minimum V it was automatically cutting out?)
-Also noticed the charger light never turned green after charging all night. (not sure why that is)

This is my first run at this so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Vinny
Getting the initial charge is a beast, but if the batteries were connected wrong then it is probable that the protection circuit tripped to prevent damage, or fried something. (Throwing 36v at a 12v circuit tends to be explosive without a protective circuit)

If it doesn't charge normally with the batteries connected correctly then odds are permanent damage has already done to the batteries.

It's also possible you got a bad batch of batteries to begin with, it's uncommon... but not rare or unheard of.

Personally I'd run serial/parallel to get the volts, and double the Ah.