Souped up yard kart build

Kartin’ kid

Reaction score
Hello! I wish I had started this thread much earlier but better late than never. Quick backstory: A few months ago I purchased a home made (seemingly) yard kart frame off of FB marketplace. Unfortunately I don’t have any good pictures of before I started working on it but here are the two best that I have found, the first one is after I started removing some parts:
46A52B6B-E24F-471F-B34C-B52602B8E2F9.jpeg3D80D344-8767-49F7-ABFF-2B9A0FF89527.jpeg
What I bought: homemade frame with pretty solid welds all around, a nice little front bash bar, broken two piece vintage wheels, a 5.5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine, a completely obliterate clutch, sprocket for #35 chain, axle that’s been beaten to hell, vintage style steering wheel, and an Airhart mechanical brake caliper that needs a rebuild kit plus some other stuff that’s not worth mentioning.

Parts I’ve removed: axle, bearings, wheels and tires, brake caliber and disc, Seat, steering wheel and pretty much every nut and bolt on this thing (replaced them with new bolts and new nylon lock nuts).

parts I’ve put on it/mods i’ve done:
Bought some moderately used wheels, tires and drift sleeves off of craigslist that I plan on swapping out for my main rear wheels & tires when I want to slide around. Sold the old Briggs and bought a predator 212 off of craigslist modified by DIYGK member Redflash, knows his stuff and is also one of the kindest people I’ve met in a long while. Major shout out to him for hooking me up with a great engine at a great price AND turning me on to the forum I’m posting on today. Engine mod list given to me by Redflash: #18 valve springs, jetted carb, aftermarket air filter, aftermarket exhaust pipe, torque converter, mod2 cam from Gopowersports and electric start. Let me know if I forgot anything flash!

Got everything mostly installed, I had to make a custom aluminum spacer out of a chunk I had lying around to get the ignition switch to bolt up, also had to re-solder some wires. I’m a self-taught solder but remaking these connections definitely helped step up my game.
I designed and 3-D printed a hub out of carbon fiber infused nylon filament to adapt the hub that came on my kart (one of those standard three bolt pattern hubs) to my recently purchased NRG innovations 2.0 quick release hub. From doing a little digging on the Internet I’ve come to the conclusion that I am the first ever person to utilize an NRG quick disconnect hub on a go kart which is pretty cool. Pics of the hub:
F8FF0872-278D-4341-ADC5-D567128001F4.jpeg
Sorry for the mess!
C9740AA5-DFD6-4120-BAE8-6596C5E8770D.jpeg
The lettering you see is because I couldn’t resist engraving my username :LOL:.

I bought a cheap 14” steering wheel off of Amazon that I would NEVER put on a car but will work just fine on a go kart:image.jpg
Steering wheel with 1/2 of the NRG hub attached.

i’m sure I’m forgetting some details that I’ve done to it but anyways, here are the parts I have for it:
One set Unilli 12x9x6 slicksimage.jpg

1x42 inch axle, 1” red anodized aluminum racing hubs, new bearings, New sprocket and hub for #420 chain and an aftermarket carb (same size as stock) but with an Adjustable AFR screw for a li’l somethin’ I have planned for the future.

Anyways, that’s the build so far. The whole idea around this was to take a basic homemade frame (because I don’t have money for a nice racing chassis:roflol: ) and glorify it/turn it into something awesome and kinda fast for driving on the street. let me know if you want pictures of any of the items I listed. I’m building this “paycheck to paycheck“(around $50 a week 😅) but I work pretty fast so I’ll be posting regular updates, stay tuned for more!

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Your not the first one with a quick release steering wheel. Sorry. So where is the soup? What kind of soup is it? Darn, now I want some soup!

Kartin’ kid

Reaction score
Your not the first one with a quick release steering wheel
I am very much aware that I’m not the first to have a quick release steering wheel on a kart. However, I was referring to an NRG and specifically the 2.0 model. I’m heading down to my local hardware store later today to get bolts to mount it all up. Pics coming soon!

Kartin’ kid

Reaction score
Scored a pretty decent deal on these hubs off of craigslist. They’ve definitely been um… “ thoroughly enjoyed“ but they’re still in very decent condition. Had to get some new screws for them too4546C6DE-0F48-42F9-BC69-E41E27947083.jpeg

Kartin’ kid

Reaction score
A crazy coincidence just happened. For the past few days I’ve been trying to replace my carburetor but I’ve been getting held back by my air filter adapter. Due to the inward curve of the adapter, holes needed to be drilled to fit the nuts that hold The carburetor onto the engine and the adapter onto the carburetor. This means that if your socket has too thick of a side wall it won’t be able to fit and you can’t remove the adapter. So, the other day I was walking with some friends to the beach and found a random little socket on the ground. I picked it up and put it in my pocket because my philosophy around these kinds of things is “you never know“. Now, usually I just end up with a bunch of junk in my pockets but occasionally it pays off such as this time. I took it home and just out of curiosity tried it on the nuts, it was a perfect fit on the first one I tried. The sidewall was thin enough that it had no clearance issues and it was exact right size to fit around the nut as well. Unfortunately, it wasn’t deep enough to get the second nut off but thanks to this random part, I now know what size socket I need. Tomorrow I plan on buying one and grinding it down to fit

Kartin’ kid

Reaction score
Grinding is always fun :thumbsup:
69F7584E-5B06-467E-9E35-0AF481B62590.jpeg
unfortunately, for reasons too complicated to get into here, my grinder not YET bolted down to anything so it has a little tendency to um… “Wander around“ as I’m grinding. This means that one hand is always occupied holding it in place but I make it work