Streaker? Single Seater Project

hardcorps

Reaction score
Started tinkering with the red single seater. Steering wheel says Streaker. Live axle looks new, is too wide and is bent slightly. Brake band and rod are not properly installed.

IMG_20231223_094846466.jpg

Is there a good reason to not do the steering tie rods like this? It seems simplest and most linear.

IMG_20231223_101151455.jpg

Took care of a few issues and put some cheap rollers on the front for now.

IMG_20231223_113053015.jpg

IMG_20231223_113120324.jpg

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
That’ll limit the steering radius. From what I’ve heard Streakers steer great so I’d just set it up the way it came out the factory. Pretty kart!

hardcorps

Reaction score
Trash can has nice wheeled dolly so makes a nice kart stand.
Will read up on Ackerman. I haven't cut down the tie rods, yet, so it may go that way.
Hand truck wheels are just for rolling around. For some reason the nice DSM Aluminum wheels I like for the front are rare and expensive.

hardcorps

Reaction score
OK, if they took the time and made the effort to employ Ackerman steering in the kart then I can have the good sense to not undo good engineering. Thanks for the advice.
I wish I'd known about this before I welded the mounting bars on the knuckles. I did approximate the original angle, so I should be OK. Next time I'll do the geometry.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
As close to this as you can get. The steering you asked about above is the same steering setup on the neighbors dingo and it’s trash. Streakers turn on a dime compared to karts with that “linear“ setup. 24B31E5E-290A-477C-A663-BBE223F1A57A.jpeg53309A4B-EE44-446F-B97E-7C1AFB80DB20.jpeg

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Before you make your new tie-rods mesure your front end from spindle bolt to spindle bolt make sure your karts front end isn’t narrower. Throw up the measurement in a picture then I’ll go measure mine. Overall front axle length is basically what we want to make sure matches.

hardcorps

Reaction score
Made some progress. Motor is a disappointment, though. Threw it up on marketplace. If nobody wants to take the project over then it will continue at a later date.

Got the axle shortened about 6".
The motor starts and runs, but smokes. Why can't free motors be perfect?
$9 seat isn't bolted to anything, yet. Can't decide to use that seat or make a plywood, vinyl, cushion seat.
Steering is sorted, but not adjusted.
Brakes seem to function.
Front wheels are temporary rollers. It's gonna need some bigger tires to turn with the live axle.

IMG_20231231_112953333.jpg

IMG_20231231_113004905.jpg
IMG_20231231_110635538.jpg

panchothedog

Reaction score
Free motors ( engines ) aren't perfect or usually any good, because they are free. TRASH. Nobody wants them. That's why they gave them away. Good engines cost money because they are worth something. The best ones are brand new, and honestly not all that much.

hardcorps

Reaction score
Free motors ( engines ) aren't perfect or usually any good, because they are free. TRASH. Nobody wants them. That's why they gave them away. Good engines cost money because they are worth something. The best ones are brand new, and honestly not all that much.
I seen many free motors that were perfect after a carb cleaning and a few that were perfect but attached to gen heads that needed flashing.
Even though a new Predator 212 is around $100 this Honda is probably worth rebuilding. I was just bummed becasue the project was steaming full speed ahead when the motor disappointed. I could have bolted a 212 on there in about 10 minutes but I felt this kart deserved the Honda. Although, the reds do clash.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
...this Honda is probably worth rebuilding.

That's what I'd do, they are pretty nice and command that premium price. Probably get by with a top end rebuild, piston, rings, that sort of thing.

Different shades of red that clash? Who cares. I don't think anyone here cares about such extreme color matching. What clashes is that awful jon boat seat! Can't get more Bubba than that. 🤪😂