Top Kart Ion

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
time will tell..
I just hope you're not planning on commiting suicide in case you're wrong ;)

But no.. your point would still NOT be valid.. jobs will get "moved" to another factory..
that's what happens on a daily basis (usually from country A to country B these days) and what will happen if combustions engines will be largely replaced by electric motors as well.
shops for XYZ will close since ABC is the 'new thing' and shops will open for that.
you cry about the bubble tea shops closing since nobody no longer cares about that stinkin stuff?
Same idea in a different scale ;)

'sid

Functional Artist

Reaction score
For fun :stir: what's the ICE "gas" equivalent of "48 Peak HP and 85 ft-lbs of torque." on a kart?
...Cu. In?
...HP?
...actual size?
...cost?

"Some other key aspects for the E-Rev are that the consumer will have no blueprinting costs, no motor rebuilds, no clutch repairs and maintenancing, no carburetor issues, no spark plugs, no fuel and oil costs, air filters, and flex to name just a few of the cost savings."

* Not quite :rolleyes: keep in mind that if racing/competition your still gonna have to
..."rebuild" the motor from time to time (brushes, bushings etc.)
…"maintenance" adjustments, monitoring/charging
…"no fuel" um...charging
…"air filters" probably needed for the kooling system
…"flex" IDK?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
a 250cc (14 ish cui for you fictive scalars)
can surely provide 65 or more hp. (famous rotax v twin two strokes)
Any 250cc two stroke shifter kart engine has roundabout 60-65horses really.
Modern variants scratch on the 100 horse mark occasionally (98hp for the SGM superkart engine for example)
weight comaprable to a gx390.. (incl 6spd gb)

Modern 125cc can get really close to provide 40'ish hp
35hp isn't uncommon at least.
and they weigh less than your average gx200 (incl six speed gearbox ;))
not cheap .. four figure pricetags are the norm, and the first digit is rarely a one...

the gx390 can be 'racemodded' to 40'ish hp as well by the way.
also not the cheapest thing in the world.

And keep in mind that the engine migt be heavier than the e-motor of similar power,
but the batteries outweigh the fueltank by far..
(especially since the tank gets lighter during a race, whereas the batteries weigh always about the same no matter if fully charged or completely depleted)

And surely maintenance on electric motors is way less of a concern
than it'd be for a small high power race engine.
Battery life expectancy however isn't too good these days..
so that's where most of the 'mainenance' costs will end up at.
and the batpacks are usually the most expensive part on a raceworthy e-kart.

IDK if there's much to save going electric tbh..
especially under racing conditions you need to swap batpacks rather regularly I'd suspect.

'sid

PS still electric alternatives have to be pushed forward.. if they can compete... time will tell

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
One thing that I didn't see mentioned in this thread was propane. It burns cleaner and cooler than gasoline, which leads to longer service intervals, less maintenance and a longer lasting engine. I have been looking into getting a dual fuel generator, and I would use a dual fuel engine on my go karts, but I'm not quite sure where to put the tank.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
If you go the dual fuel generator engine route, you'll probably run into a tapered shaft.
Then again, C&C just turned it down for the Subaru Yerf Dog.
It's actually been brought up before on this forum somewhere that there are propane conversion kits for Predator 212s.

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
I almost forgot to reply. Also I was on vacation for a few weeks. But I was planning on getting a dual fuel generator to be used as a generator. I live on the west coast of Florida, so the majority of the hurricanes that make it to the gulf tend to pass over me.

Panhead5496

Reaction score
time will tell..
I just hope you're not planning on commiting suicide in case you're wrong ;)

But no.. your point would still NOT be valid.. jobs will get "moved" to another factory..
that's what happens on a daily basis (usually from country A to country B these days) and what will happen if combustions engines will be largely replaced by electric motors as well.
shops for XYZ will close since ABC is the 'new thing' and shops will open for that.
you cry about the bubble tea shops closing since nobody no longer cares about that stinkin stuff?
Same idea in a different scale ;)

'sid

Oh come on now, surely you knew what I meant. That I doubt they would be banned while we are still alive, meaning so far in the future we will be old and gone lol :rolleyes:

You say that no one cares about the tea shops isn't quite the same idea, since "no one" cares about it. It would be a very long time for all the motorheads who like engines to stop liking them and go with electric stuff over that. I don't think I will ever be sold on something completely electric...no engine sounds, no smells, no exhaust note under WOT, etc etc. Sure I'd like a Telsa, but not as my only car.

I also think Europeans have a slightly different take on cars and such. For instance, over there my 3.6l v6 Charger is considered very tame. There are a few guys on a FB page I know who live overseas and have the same engine and talk about how large it is compared to the "normal" stuff they see driving around.

So no, I don't see "regular" engines ever being banned without some sort of insane amount of unrest. At least not in 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.