Torquing rod bolts?! (Please help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
I have no idea how to get to the destined torque... (ARC Rod - 170 with 30wt oil), how do I know when I have gotten there?

Do I need a special tool? A torque wrench with a meter? :confused:

Please help! Pictures or such will be greatly appreciated!

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
this is a must have tool osacryu1 i don't understand something how have you work on all these motors and know all this stuff but have never used a torque wrench.the wrench will make a click once you have hit set amount of pressure you are wanting.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
I agree you have built all these engines an expect some of them to hit 7500-8000 Yeah right! Without the right torque's Get ready to pick up some peices after a run.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
I haven't completed them yet... notice I'm still learning? I expect them to hit that high, and you can't deny that I don't have a good chance of it.

There was a reason I didn't place the side covers on.

Put it this way: No one in my family knows about mechanics. I had to start from scratch... Unlike most of yall.

So gimmie a break... Notice how all my projects are "still in progress"? Not done and never coming back? Sheesh...

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
ok got you ..just the way you talk sometime it seems like you have done all this already so all your knowledge if from reading correct. have you been able to drive your kart yet even when you first got it.
that good for never messing with motors you have learn lot in a short time .

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Yes I have... there's a reason the 3.5 is in bits right now.

The way I talk?! But I'm only 13 :( (Or so you think... muhahahahahaha)

Got the Corvette kart back in December of 06. 3 months later... the engine died.

Boo hoo. At my young and stupid age (story of my life :D), I took it apart... and didn't know how to put it back together...

Then on September of 07, we saw a deal for Harbor Freight. A new store had opened in our little city (never knew what it was before, catalogs were sent city-wide), and we stopped there.

Brought home a happy 6.5 for $120. Started and purred. Put on the go kart on December, and... it ran well! Much more powerful than the original 3.5, more torque (amazingly alot), and fast!

Then came for the need for speed (who doesn't?)... Research, forum, research, burgers, research... And I find a beepload of parts...

Then I stripped the motor down without any manuals or help. It amazed me how easy it was... So easy, I started modifying the GX110 (3.5, the one that WAS on the go kart).

I got the stuck clutch off, replaced and cleaned some parts, and got her running! Hip hip horray!

So now, I'm still working on the kart. I learned the hard way that hurrying isn't the way to go.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
ok got you ..just the way you talk sometime it seems like you have done all this already so all your knowledge if from reading correct. have you been able to drive your kart yet even when you first got it.
that good for never messing with motors you have learn lot in a short time .

Reading?! :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Nah, I prefer destroying a cheap motor in the process than to read. I only read when I have absolutely no experience in an area. From what I know, I'm 6 months into motors, and I've learned alot!

(Thanks to you guys :sifone: )

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
see now thats what i was wanting to see that info you never went into the info like that before just thought you bought a kart had it in the garage and tore it apart and started to mess with it ok.
cool- :thumbsup:

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Well when I have it running, it'll be thanks to yall! I'm hoping to clock it 50+... :smartass:

Hehe I'm addicted to that smilie :D

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
would be nice to hit that speed i haven't got over 40 on any of mine yet but haven't done some of the things your doing just minor changing timing shaved change to a headder.but working on a few new karts here soon.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
You might try to look at some lower gearing... If you're going performance, I'd recommend the most important have-to-have parts:

1) Billet FLYWHEEL + Billet rod

Safety first!

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
on real engines i use a torque wrench but on gokart engines i just torque to what feels right. never had any problems w/ that

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Yeah, I do that lots of time ed1380. But when you're dealing with 20+ horsepower, $1500 and alot of labor invested, and 8000RPM...

You get the point :smartass:

jr dragster T

Reaction score
I'm sorry Oscar if I was a bit harsh I just I was just making sure that you where going to do it right as you where saying 1500$ labour and 20 hp it has to be right.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Yup! I always worked with those cheap torque wrenches, so I never knew how those ones with a meter worked :smartass:

Anywho, it'll get nowhere near your billet monster haha! My top speed is your idle speed :D

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Any tips on the clutch? I can tell you the stock one won't hold up over 6,000 or so... (Hopefully it will... for a month :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.