Using Vertical-Shaft Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsox985

Reaction score
I still want to know if the RAGB from a snowblower auger is hefty enough for a kart. Also, I wonder what its internal reduction ratio is. I'll have to go out on garbage night and grab one to rip apart. :) What types of motors are vertical with straight, keyed shafts? Some lawnmowers?

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
I still want to know if the RAGB from a snowblower auger is hefty enough for a kart. Also, I wonder what its internal reduction ratio is. I'll have to go out on garbage night and grab one to rip apart. :) What types of motors are vertical with straight, keyed shafts? Some lawnmowers?

All the Briggs mowers I've seen have a 7/8" keyed shaft that's only about an inch long. Hondas have either tapered or keyed, depends on the type of blade clutch/cush drive it has. Full crank Victas have a 1/2"BSF threaded shaft with a 15 degree taper. I've never seen a Tecumseh mower, I'm sure Russ can tell you what Lawn Boys have.

Never seen a vertical shaft pressure washer to be honest.

Good luck with the snowblower search! :thumbsup:

Thanks

Hayden

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I think the snowblower RAGB is going to have to be something you assess when you find one. I have one from a lawn tractor snowblower attachment, and it's quite a monster. Cast iron case, steel gears, 1.2:1. Bombproof. Heavy, though.

redsox985

Reaction score
With a file and patience, Russ? I think vertical pressure washers are the newer style. The RAGB on my snowblower is rather small and could probably fit in one hand. It's only a 5hp machine, a Craftsman with a Tecumseh engine. (looks like a flathead kinda).

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
With a file and patience, Russ?
Best to rough it out with a Dremel, then use chainsaw files to get it square. Finish off with a 1/4" coarse stone.
Keep as straight as possible.
Keep in mind that a 1/4" key requires 1/8" depth. This may sound obvious, but you would be surprised as to how many folks have screwed this up.
Patience is an understatement. Will take a couple to several hours to get it right.
I have done 3 pto's with another on the way.
To be honest, I hate doing this, but has saved me oodles of $$$.

redsox985

Reaction score
Could a die grinder even be used for a rough cut then a dremel tool and file be used to finalize the keyway? That would greatly expedite the process, assuming you have a strong, steady hand.

The Mechtician

Gargamel Jr.
Reaction score
It's cheap and it works.
Looks pretty good to me! Using hand tools for shaping metal is a dying art. I can count on one hand the number of people I know who are proficient with hand tools (eg; hacksaw, file, stones, etc), not including myself cuz I'm a hack :roflol: Makes me wish I took the opportunity to do some apprenticing in europe, where skilled trades are still held in high regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.