• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Why don't EV's have transmissions?

Reaction score
It seems to me that you could have a very energy-efficient car by have a small electric motor and a transmission. You wouldn't need to carry that huge motor coil for torque, just spin the motor to 28k rpm. Using a high amperage and a low voltage and gearing that up, you could have a much safer ev, potentially running it off of SLA or other batteries that are less environmentally harmful no? I want y'alls input on why this isn't possible, or at least why its not being done.

Reaction score
Electric motors put out peak torque at 1rpm. Plus, some EVs have trannies. The Porsche Taycan has a two-speed. FA can answer this question far better than I can.
Right. So, just like a diesel, put a bunch of short range ratios together, and you can have a small, low rpm, torquey motor drive a car.

panchothedog

Reaction score
I never heard the complete explanation ( wasn't that interested ) but a while back, when Tesla made it's first car, a small two seat sports car, they unsuccessfully experimented with trying to incorporate a shifting transmission into the vehicle. For some reason ( which I don't understand ) a transmission works much better when attached to an internal combustion engine. With the amount of money and research that has been invested in E V's if it were doable, I'm quite certain it would be in production.

Reaction score
It’s doable just not needed is all.
Its not needed if you run a big motor on a big car. I'm asking if a FWD single, small electric motor with gears could make up the difference of the torque of a much larger motor, the advantage being you can run it on less amperage.

"Can you make a more efficient EV by using a gearbox?"

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Its not needed if you run a big motor on a big car. I'm asking if a FWD single, small electric motor with gears could make up the difference of the torque of a much larger motor, the advantage being you can run it on less amperage.

"Can you make a more efficient EV by using a gearbox?"
Truth is nobody wants that complexity and no buyer in the electric car market wants a car rated at 60hp.

Reaction score
I thought part of the sales gimmick is that electric is more efficient? I don't know much about selling cars, but if you have 200 mpg equivalent, I feel like that would sell to Prius owners, no?

Reaction score
Found this statement on an old car and driver article:
"Getting a two-speed transmission to work reliably on a powerful electric car is no small feat, as Tesla has found out the hard way." Maybe the instant torque is a shock load to gears?

Last edited:

Functional Artist

Reaction score
IMO the simplest way to explain it is...

1.) Engines (gas or diesel) usually have to "run" or "idle" before being used
...& so, need a separator (clutch/transmission) for engaging or applying the power to the wheels

2.) Most engines have a very narrow usable "power band" (0 RPM's to at least 1,000 RPM's are usually unusable)
...so, a transmission is used to "spread" that "power band" over a wider range of speeds

Whereas, electric motors don't need to be "running" before use
...so, they don't need a "power separator"
...& have usable torque/power from 0 RPM's, all of the way thru their max RPM's

Reaction score
Whereas, electric motors don't need to be "running" before use
...so, they don't need a "power separator"
...& have usable torque/power from 0 RPM's, all of the way thru their max RPM's
Doesn't an electric engine's torque and power drop off in higher RPM range? If it does, would it make a difference in efficiency to keep the electric motor at 1000rpm and gear up?