YZ-80 (1985 Model) Replacing Piston and Connecting rod with Chinese

Rat

Reaction score
That's not why I was wondering.
Then why? I Don't follow, nor is it relevant why when the how is blatantly obvious. Only an absolute moron would go through the trouble of splitting and gutting a case to then remove and split the crank, repress it back together and reassemble everything.

Dude has made it very abundantly clear he just a broke fool that got took on a rolling project he is clearly not intellectually nor financially equipped to deal with properly.

Reaction score
Then why? I Don't follow, nor is it relevant why when the how is blatantly obvious. Only an absolute moron would go through the trouble of splitting and gutting a case to then remove and split the crank, repress it back together and reassemble everything.

Dude has made it very abundantly clear he just a broke fool that got took on a rolling project he is clearly not intellectually nor financially equipped to deal with properly.
I have acquired a working mx500 razor 36v kids bike off Marketplace for $40, currently swapping the engines. Should I try to keep the transmission of the old bike so that I have a wider range? Also I stumbled face first into a pile of cash, so its not a problem anymore

Rat

Reaction score
I should say it was suspicious that the piston was removed, the conrod destroyed with no damage to the top end.
If it broke off directly at the crank, it wouldn't neccisarily destroy the top end 100% of the time and for all you know of the bike the top end is a replacement.
I have acquired a working mx500 razor 36v kids bike off Marketplace for $40, currently swapping the engines. Should I try to keep the transmission of the old bike so that I have a wider range? Also I stumbled face first into a pile of cash, so its not a problem anymore
Swapping the engines is the dumbest thing you could do, leave shıt alone, fix it right, or take your nonsense to a forum that encourages incompetent advice and garbage.

DO IT RIGHT OR NOT AT ALL!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
If it broke off directly at the crank, it would neccisarily destroy the top end 100% if the time and for all you know of the bike the top end is a replacement.

Swapping the engines is the dumbest thing you could do, leave shıt alone, fix it right, or take your nonsense to a forum that encourages incompetent advice and garbage.

DO IT RIGHT OR NOT AT ALL!!!
But the Mx500 is already in working order, all I have to do is fab mounting for the electric motor and the combined battery/controller module. What else are you worried about?

Rat

Reaction score
But the Mx500 is already in working order, all I have to do is fab mounting for the electric motor and the combined battery/controller module. What else are you worried about?
You're still talking about running the electric motor on the YZ chassis and attempting to use it's transmission...right?

Waste of a good classic (antique now?) bike that is easily restored to factory spec

Reaction score
You're still talking about running the electric motor on the YZ chassis and attempting to use it's transmission...right?

Waste of a good classic (antique now?) bike that is easily restored to factory spec
Yes. There are several places I can mount the motor such that it engages with the clutch pack. It all fits rather nice. This way, I don't have to muck around ordering $400 worth of parts cause nobody makes this generation of YZ80 conrod anymore.

Reaction score
Yes. There are several places I can mount the motor such that it engages with the clutch pack. It all fits rather nice. This way, I don't have to muck around ordering $400 worth of parts cause nobody makes this generation of YZ80 conrod anymore.
Although I might just ditch and sell the whole engine/transmission and just direct run the motor with a greater step down in ratio to account for the larger tires. That would be much easier.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update: Using a chinese sprocket mount I can mount the idle gear between the old kick starter and the clutch to the electric motor, then power the clutch though the original driveline with the electric motor sitting on top of where the cylinder used to be. I will still need to remove the camshaft, but I can use much of the old architecture and, BONUS, use the old cylinder mounting rods to affix the motor