2017 - Pair of Arachnids - DNF

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinwater

Reaction score
I decided to build an Arachnid for my entry. It is a more complex build with full suspension and has more "Points" potential per the rules than other designs within my ability to build. I am a machinist, not a fabricator so I will have to rely on those skills to make this a near perfect build, and WIN!!!!!

Here is my materials pile. I got in 4 sticks of 1 1/4" and 2 sticks of 1" at the shop today. I cut it to size with an abrasive chop saw. This is just the "Main frame" that I cut today. I will try and do one of the sub frames each day to get it done in a reasonable length of time.

I am making two because my business partner wants one also.

Attachments

• my metal cut up.jpg
    my metal cut up.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 23

thinwater

Reaction score
My chop saw sucks for getting any angle correct so I used my CNC mill to cut the ends of the metal.

I drew each angle required in the CAD software, and made a program for each angle needed.

The mill was set up with a digital probe so the cuts would be perfect (In fab terms, in machining they are + or - .001" or better).

Attachments

• my frame in mill.jpg
    my frame in mill.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 13

thinwater

Reaction score
Here is how it looks after cutting a piece in the mill.

Attachments

• my mill cut.jpg
    my mill cut.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 13

thinwater

Reaction score
We got two main frames done last night. This is one on the floor checking to see if it all fit. It does!

Now that I have the programs for all of the parts I could build my own fleet of them.

Attachments

• my framelaid out.jpg
    my framelaid out.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 14

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Wow, I'm going to have to step up my game to compete against a walking spider! Cant wait to see it running.

So whats your powerplant? Are you going gas engine to hydraulics? Tank style control? forward/reverse/turn left /turn right? Joystick steering wheel? Guess ill just wait and see.

thinwater

Reaction score
I got the rest of the metal cut today for the top half of the main frames. I could not do the angles due to a job I had to do for an actual paying customer. It sucks when work gets in the way of my kart build.

We have a couple of already modified 25 hp big block racing kart motors picked out for these. We want them to be no compromise machines, no scrap pile stuff like we normally do. All new stuff, and higher grade.

I have never owned a 4 wheeler ATV and even going higher grade, top quality parts on this build will be much cheaper than even a mediocre used 4 wheeler. This is much cooler in any case.

Attachments

• my new metal pile.jpg
    my new metal pile.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 8

MadManAndrew

Fun-Club Chairman
Reaction score
Wow, I'm going to have to step up my game to compete against a walking spider! Cant wait to see it running.

So whats your powerplant? Are you going gas engine to hydraulics? Tank style control? forward/reverse/turn left /turn right? Joystick steering wheel? Guess ill just wait and see.

Lol. A competed "arachnid":

thinwater

Reaction score
Lol. A competed "arachnid":

I know it does not live up to a giant walking spider, but starting with the base design and doing the proper frame, body, engine and other mods that we have planned, it will be an awesome kart.

It is being made for high performance with no compromise in components or attention to detail in the build.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Oh man. I was hoping for walking spider! Oh well. 2018 build off I'll do a spider then!

Still nice looking. Keep up the good work. Photos do help!!!

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Oh man. I was hoping for walking spider! Oh well. 2018 build off I'll do a spider then!

Still nice looking. Keep up the good work. Photos do help!!!
Will Smith's Wild Wild West much? Steam and hydraulics with multiple Gatling guns and hot chicks manning them?

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score

thinwater

Reaction score
Will Smith's Wild Wild West much? Steam and hydraulics with multiple Gatling guns and hot chicks manning them?

If doing gun mounts on the karts and mounting a couple of machineguns to it wont violate any site rules or policies, I will do that on one of these builds. I am a licensed firearms manufacturer with a "Special Occupation Tax" stamp that allows me to make machine guns and silencers. I could make the guns electrically controlled from a switch on the steering wheel.

Pictured is a billet lower we made, on rifle that we built, that accepts a Glock mag in .45 ACP.

What say the mods?

Attachments

• finished lower sm.jpg
    finished lower sm.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 8

thinwater

Reaction score
I got the metal cut for the rear motor mount frames and cut the angles on the rest of the top frame parts. So far everything has lined up correctly. We will be moving the metal to my home welding shop this week to weld it all up.

I made two of each assembly. Doing two at once takes longer but probably 70% less time than doing another one at a later date and having to set up everything again.

Attachments

• my cuts.jpg
    my cuts.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 8
  • my frames.jpg
    my frames.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 9

kevbo22

Reaction score
If doing gun mounts on the karts and mounting a couple of machineguns to it wont violate any site rules or policies, I will do that on one of these builds. I am a licensed firearms manufacturer with a "Special Occupation Tax" stamp that allows me to make machine guns and silencers. I could make the guns electrically controlled from a switch on the steering wheel.

Pictured is a billet lower we made, on rifle that we built, that accepts a Glock mag in .45 ACP.

What say the mods?

Thats very cool. DO IT! I have always thought of doing a mount for one of my custom .308s on a buggy. Does the Special Occupation Tax basically a $200 tax stamp for the making of one? I've always wanted to mill my own suppressor but always remember how long it took to get my stamp for my first suppressor from the atf and never do. The atf just takes to **** long!

thinwater

Reaction score
Have a look at these threads for inspiration. I don't know if they have worked out all the kinks in their plans yet, so this might help

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8493
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8537

Thank you very much for this!

Based on the threads we lengthened the karts by 11 1/2". I only had to replace the two side pieces to increase its length. If I had replaced and of the angled parts it would have messed up the width of the frame at one or both ends.

The picture shows the original parts outside of the frame with the new parts in place.

Attachments

• my lengthened frames.jpg
    my lengthened frames.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 14

thinwater

Reaction score
Thats very cool. DO IT! I have always thought of doing a mount for one of my custom .308s on a buggy. Does the Special Occupation Tax basically a $200 tax stamp for the making of one? I've always wanted to mill my own suppressor but always remember how long it took to get my stamp for my first suppressor from the atf and never do. The atf just takes to **** long!
The SOT stamp is paid yearly. I can make whatever I want at no additional cost, but the item is "Owned" by my business. I can make any number of machineguns, silencers or whatever, no wait etc...

We designed a mount for the rear for smoke launching, tire deflation devices etc...

It will be a rolling weapons platform, with everything removable for general karting. Kind of like Mad Max meets the Rat Patrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.