2017 - Pair of Arachnids - DNF

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinwater

Reaction score
We welded up the rear frames tonight. It took a little longer than it should have because we had to build a flat table top to weld on and make a jig on.

The two cross bars that hole the motor mount plate were about 1/8" to long and would have had to have been forced in so I will trim them in the mill tomorrow before welding in.

We did some destructive testing by welding some scraps of the same material that we are using then beating it with a hammer until it failed. The metal around the weld tore and left the weld in place. I have 100% confidence in the strength of the welds, even if they are not the prettiest.

Attachments

• my rear frame.jpg
    my rear frame.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 17

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
We welded up the rear frames tonight. It took a little longer than it should have because we had to build a flat table top to weld on and make a jig on.

The two cross bars that hole the motor mount plate were about 1/8" to long and would have had to have been forced in so I will trim them in the mill tomorrow before welding in.

We did some destructive testing by welding some scraps of the same material that we are using then beating it with a hammer until it failed. The metal around the weld tore and left the weld in place. I have 100% confidence in the strength of the welds, even if they are not the prettiest.

Destructive testing is one of my favorite kinds.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I'd even take it a bit further and try to bend it with a cheater bar, so that way you can see any impurities in the weld. Though dye penetrant NDT works pretty well for discovering weld cracks and what not.

thinwater

Reaction score
I cant get my phone to allow my computer to access photos on it so I broke out an old digital camera that has been dropped and takes out of focus pictures.

I got the rear frames ground and one of the two motor mount supports welded into each one.

Attachments

• my rear frames.jpg
    my rear frames.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 7

thinwater

Reaction score
I read in other builds how hard it was to get the holes in the spindle mounts that are used as hinges for the front and rear suspension to line up. I decided to avoid all of that and made several of them on the CNC mill. I started by taking 3/8" wall 3x3 tube and slicing it into pieces just over 1 inch thick on my band saw. Once I had a pile of them I put them in the mill and faced them all off to the same thickness. I stood them up and drilled two holes from the top through the bottom then cut them in 1/2 on the band saw. The holes are exactly the same distance on every one from the long flat side of the part. This is the side that gets welded to the frame so I know all holes will line up exactly (If they are welded on correctly). I will install a smooth tight fitting pin through each part before welding it on to make sure it is lined up.

Sorry about the crappy photo, but with the above description you should get the idea.

Attachments

• my hinge bracket.jpg
    my hinge bracket.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 9

thinwater

Reaction score
I redesigned the front suspension. The plans used a kingpin welded to the spindle and it was already in a "Bound up" position at rest, with little to no travel potential downward. If you went over a hole, it could not travel downward much to smooth it out.

I made two side plates for each spindle that will bolt to the heim joints with the holes turned horizontal instead of vertical. There is virtually no limit to the travel within this assembly with the heim joints turned this way. Travel will still be limited by the coil over shocks, but the joint cant bind.

The axle will be welded to a 5" long bar of 1" x1" steel and one of the plates welded to each side of the steel bar. I made the plates on my CNC plasma cutter out of 3/16" plate. I considered 1/4" plate but it seemed to be just adding weight for no reason since this is so strong.

Attachments

• my brackets 2.jpg
    my brackets 2.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 22
  • my brackets.jpg
    my brackets.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 20

kevbo22

Reaction score
I redesigned the front suspension. The plans used a kingpin welded to the spindle and it was already in a "Bound up" position at rest, with little to no travel potential downward. If you went over a hole, it could not travel downward much to smooth it out.

I made two side plates for each spindle that will bolt to the heim joints with the holes turned horizontal instead of vertical. There is virtually no limit to the travel within this assembly with the heim joints turned this way. Travel will still be limited by the coil over shocks, but the joint cant bind.

The axle will be welded to a 5" long bar of 1" x1" steel and one of the plates welded to each side of the steel bar. I made the plates on my CNC plasma cutter out of 3/16" plate. I considered 1/4" plate but it seemed to be just adding weight for no reason since this is so strong.

That sir, is BRILLIANT!!!

thinwater

Reaction score
How is the spindle going to move when you go to turn? With those plates welded to the spindle it won't move.

Denny
My bad for not explaining the entire assembly.

Here is a quick drawing to kind of show how it will work. The bottom 1" x 1" block will be 1" higher up and flush before welding.

Attachments

• axle assmbly.jpg
    axle assmbly.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.