Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Increase Compression Ratio/Eliminate Head Gasket-NO MILLING

Very straight forward.

Three things are needed:

1.) A large workable surface such as safety glass and must be absolutely flat. The surface I use (accurate to a few millionths inch) is from a discarded wafer prober and is not readily available unless you have connections in the analog/digital IC manufacturing industry.

2.) LOCTITE 320 grit grease grinding compound

3.) Permatex Super "300"

Apply compound to flat surface and begin lapping by applying pressure on head and move in random figure 8 and circular patterns-clockwise and counter clockwise.
Check every few minutes for a grayish color to begin to appear. After a while you will begin to understand why gaskets are used in the first place. I have yet to find any cylinder head that was not warped to some degree.

Head lapping is complete when entire surface is a uniform gray color.

Block is done the same way but is somewhat more difficult because of it's bulk/mass.

Clean up with mineral spirits, paint thinner, or kerosene.
I highly recommend that block be completely stripped of moving parts before lapping.
Thorough cleaning after lapping cannot be over stated.
If any compound is left behind, engine damage is a real possibility.
Assembly is done using Permatex Super "300".
Apply thinly to one or both surfaces and torque to maximum factory spec and done in the correct order. You'll know if you've done it correctly when a very small amount of sealant oozes out between head and block. Remember that what ever excess oozes out is also oozing into combustion chamber. Keep it to a minimum.
Clearances must be checked before final re-assembly.
Typical Briggs head gasket thickness is about .060" which is equivalent to milling off a pretty big chunk of metal.
My 1969 5hp Briggs and all four of my Lawn-Boy DuraForces had no clearance issues, but remember that no two engines are identical. Check and re-check clearances.

Addendum 4/30/10:
Would be a good idea to re-torque head bolts after a couple of cycles...that is...warm engine up to operating temperature and then let cool (couple hours) to ambient temperature, one or two times, then re-torque to max factory spec.

Link updated 2/05/15

Last edited:

solomon

Reaction score
Awesome Thread! Do you think if i milled the head and then used Super 300 it would be too much compression?

solomon

Reaction score
Okay thanks, I know the whole point was to bump the compression. Great Thread!

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
Yes it is, Thanx.
I cannot, however, take credit for this modification. It's an old trick that goes back decades.
Don't expect any speed records, but it will give you a little extra "punch" and is noticeable.

well im just doing it for the use of no head gasket.. i dont like spending 5 bucks and 20 bucks in gas goin to the nearest lawn mower shop then have to wait a day before they get a gasket in for me.

solomon

Reaction score
I always reuse the gasket if its in good enough condition. I will be glad to try this method out.

Rotore

Teh SPIK
Reaction score
wait quick question i get what this is about but i really dont think that the head will mate with the head as true as stated w/ out losing some compression?

Rotore

Teh SPIK
Reaction score
im saying i know you can use an engine w/out a gasket but ive only hard of it being done by being machined never heard of this method and i have my doubts about it.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
im saying i know you can use an engine w/out a gasket but ive only hard of it being done by being machined never heard of this method and i have my doubts about it.

This method is just as good if not better than machining, you will most likely get a much smoother finish with this method.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
ive only hard of it being done by being machined never heard of this method and i have my doubts about it.
You would be hard pressed to get a better surface by any other means than lapping. Even the best milling tables have to be lapped to keep them in tolerance.
As perfect as valves and seats may be machined...they still must be lapped for a proper seal.

solomon

Reaction score
yea my local mower shop "cuts" the valve and seat, but i lap it anyways and always get slightly higher compression

Status
Not open for further replies.