supercharger

Rat

Reaction score
I think you knew that and have just been drinking or something.
I think you're pedaling more bullshıt than I have capacity for, nothing more. Let's go with the or something... meaning I decided a while back that I really just don't fu★king like you, at all. I only play nice to keep Denny quiet and Pancho off my a★s.
How is the carb going to be exposed to more more than a differential pressure equaling atmospheric? Explain how that works so we can all better understand.
Suck or blow is irrelevant. Pressure is pressure, and when you get enough in volume and velocity slide carbs tend to misbehave regardless of which side if the slide its coming from. I'll even leave Bernouli's principle out of it at this point since I've been over that and it is generally the first problem others cry about.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Not true. Yes they are epoxied on and pinned in place with a metal plate and a single screw, which is specifically to compress the air bubbles out of the freshly blobbed on epoxy.
Better quality flywheels will actually have a plastic cap sandwiched in there that keeps the excess squished out epoxy contained leading to a more solid bond.

That said you need to stop with bad info because the majority of all stock flywheels are perfectly solid up to 5k.
You want bad info I’ll start tell’en’em to spin it up as hard as they can with the stock one..

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
When I talk about VE, I’m talking about something like this definition.

“What is Volumetric Efficiency? Volumetric efficiency (VE) is the actual amount of air flowing through an engine, compared to its theoretical maximum.”

with this definition, forced induction can increase the “amount” of air. Perhaps not the volume of air but the density and therefore the “amount” or number of molecules. But it probably also increases the volume of air per rotation.

How does VE not increase with boost.
NA- maybe lungs filled 85%
boosted- lungs filled 100% with denser air

perhaps the better word would be something like “effective VE” the same way people talk about effective CR with boost compared to static or NAdynamic.

The carb size calculation used, uses displacement and a constant K related to VE to determine the amount of air flowed. A blower flows more air so you need to increase that constant, K. If VE doesnt increase, my imaginary “effective VE” surely does.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok so for a longer intake set up a smaller carb will keep some semblance of velocity, except with the charging set up boosting the intake velocity smaller becomes problematic by flooding.

I still say a 28mm is the best size to start with for the set up.
There is one problem, get enough pressure moving through the intake tract and slide carbs tend to get stuck open.

I'm not sure if it's the column of flow putting lift forces under the slide, or if it's just the "wind speed" plastering the slide to the inner body... but I do know it's no joke.
external throttle valve for safety, maybe? All this math is exciting and intriguing to me

Reaction score
I did nothing to pick a fight, and I'm not going to abandon context in order to spar with you on technicalities. In this context, pressure is widely understood to mean boost. Boost is what's likely cause slide carbs to stick...blow-through carbs. A draw-through carb isn't exposed to it. I think you knew that and have just been drinking or something.

How is the carb going to be exposed to more more than a differential pressure equaling atmospheric? Explain how that works so we can all better understand.
Would the suck of the supercharger on the back side of the carb not be pressure then?

Reaction score
I think you're pedaling more bullshıt than I have capacity for, nothing more. Let's go with the or something... meaning I decided a while back that I really just don't fu★king like you, at all. I only play nice to keep Denny quiet and Pancho off my a★s.

Suck or blow is irrelevant. Pressure is pressure, and when you get enough in volume and velocity slide carbs tend to misbehave regardless of which side if the slide its coming from. I'll even leave Bernouli's principle out of it at this point since I've been over that and it is generally the first problem others cry about.
Maybe the sideways force from the air collisions with the needle/slide are enough to generate enough friction with the side of the guide hole in which its captured that it doesn't come backdown.Force diagram on carb.png

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Maybe the sideways force from the air collisions with the needle/slide are enough to generate enough friction with the side of the guide hole in which its captured that it doesn't come backdown.View attachment 147523
I also wonder about the diaphragm carburetors + fuel pump pulse under any kind of pressure. Justin W’s hotrod supercharged Briggs 5hp YouTube video is what I’m copying. His engine would start bog a split second then run at wide open throttle then stall out. He switched to a slidecarb.
6177A95E-74EF-476D-B6AC-35906E7267AD.jpeg

Reaction score
I also wonder about the diaphragm carburetors + fuel pump pulse under any kind of pressure. Justin W’s hotrod supercharged Briggs 5hp YouTube video is what I’m copying. His engine would start bog a split second then run at wide open throttle then stall out. He switched to a slidecarb.
And then he didn't have issues with a sticky throttle?

Rat

Reaction score
Ok, link me up “power jets” to fit in knock off PWK style carbs.
Adjustable
Jet only

Genuine pwk parts fit the knockoffs perfectly fine.
The thing about powerjets is that the ones that are a jetted port only are only effective at 100% WOT and only get a signal from the slower moving air along the belmouth surface

The drop down emulsion tube looking ones actually work better over a wider range because it puts the tip down into the 80% slide open area (some drop as low as 70% slide) and gets a much stronger signal by being not just down directly in front of the negative signal through the throat, but also by being in the center bulk of the air flow in general.

Anyone who has looked at any amount of gemeral flow data will be familiar with how a small surface imperfection or hard edge creates a void behind it in the flow direction, and how there is always some degree of surface drag on flow regardless of its smoothness.

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score

Or something like dementia. You did say you're old and have probably forgotten a lot of things, which suggests that you can't remember whether you knew something to begin with or not. Or Korsakoff syndrome.

Suck or blow is irrelevant. Pressure is pressure, and when you get enough in volume and velocity slide carbs tend to misbehave regardless of which side if the slide its coming from.

This too is nonsense and you still haven't answered the question. I think it's because you can't. Am I wrong?

When I talk about VE, I’m talking about something like this definition.

“What is Volumetric Efficiency? Volumetric efficiency (VE) is the actual amount of air flowing through an engine, compared to its theoretical maximum.”

with this definition, forced induction can increase the “amount” of air. Perhaps not the volume of air but the density and therefore the “amount” or number of molecules. But it probably also increases the volume of air per rotation.

How does VE not increase with boost.
NA- maybe lungs filled 85%
boosted- lungs filled 100% with denser air

perhaps the better word would be something like “effective VE” the same way people talk about effective CR with boost compared to static or NAdynamic.

The carb size calculation used, uses displacement and a constant K related to VE to determine the amount of air flowed. A blower flows more air so you need to increase that constant, K. If VE doesnt increase, my imaginary “effective VE” surely does.

I'm certainly not knocking you if you prefer to think of it that way.

That said, forced induction does not increase air volume; it increases density. Think of a boosted engine as a naturally aspirated one in a denser atmosphere. An engine with 75% VE would still only pull in 75% of its swept volume of that denser air. The mass airflow will be higher and the engine will make more power, but the pumping efficiency still remains constant. Mass airflow is what all the engineering calculations deal with.

If the engine sim software requires some constant to account for total engine airflow that way, that's fine. Some speed-density EFI computers do that although the "VE" number has no units and doesn't correlate to actual engine VE.

Can you both calm down this is a forum not twitter

This is what forums have been like since long before you were born or Twitter existed. It's part of the course of...discourse.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Or something like dementia. You did say you're old and have probably forgotten a lot of things, which suggests that you can't remember whether you knew something to begin with or not. Or Korsakoff syndrome.

This too is nonsense and you still haven't answered the question. I think it's because you can't. Am I wrong?

I'm certainly not knocking you if you prefer to think of it that way.

That said, forced induction does not increase air volume; it increases density. Think of a boosted engine as a naturally aspirated one in a denser atmosphere. An engine with 75% VE would still only pull in 75% of its swept volume of that denser air. The mass airflow will be higher and the engine will make more power, but the pumping efficiency still remains constant. Mass airflow is what all the engineering calculations deal with.

If the engine sim software requires some constant to account for total engine airflow that way, that's fine. Some speed-density EFI computers do that although the "VE" number has no units and doesn't correlate to actual engine VE.

This is what forums have been like since long before you were born or Twitter existed. It's part of the course of...discourse.
Engine capacity 212cc
Air pumped 180cc
VE = 0.85

Engine capacity 212cc
Air pumped 300cc (forced induction)
150cc per revolution
VE = 1.41
Boost = 6 psi

I’m not sure I agree that volume of air doesn’t increase as well as air density. VE isnt even constant at different RPMs because of intake / exhaust tuning and scavenging.

Unless the VE was originally 1.00 when NA. I have to think about this. Air would flow faster with a greater pressure difference between runner and chamber and more volume could be moved in a certain amount of time. But the chamber being filled with dense air might offset the boost in the runner? I dunno. My fluid mechanical ignorance is showing.

Reaction score

Does the VE not change because the air still disperses around the cylinder volume at the same rate?